Is anybody going to Upgrade to Longhorn windows

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by mahram, Aug 22, 2005.

1. skepticaltrader

skepticaltrader Guest

I will update to Windows Vista when someone gives me a free copy or if I decide to buy a new computer.

#51     Aug 27, 2005
  2. if u know anyone work at MS.. it will be very cheap.

#52     Aug 27, 2005
  3. If you start up, IB is probably still your best choice . IMHO, they drag along a lot of useless stuff these days as compared to 1-2 years ago.

#53     Aug 27, 2005
  4. Do you happen to live in one of those many slave countries where they still shove an OS down your throat when you buy a new computer? A few countries lawfully require 'freedom of choice' and prohibit 'bundling', but regrettably not that many do yet.

#54     Aug 27, 2005
  5. skepticaltrader

skepticaltrader Guest

Hello nononsense,

I live in the United States, but can't stand the Windows OS. I would prefer to use Linux, but my trading software currently won't run on it.

It seems as inevitable that when you purchase a new computer you automatically get Windows installed.

I think I spend more time downloading critical updates every week than spending time studying the markets.

#55     Aug 27, 2005
  6. bronks

bronks

I've spent A LOT of time researching Linux systems over the past few days. Since I'm set on laptops by IBM (Lenovo) preloaded with Linux, I've come up with these websites:

http://www.emperorlinux.com/

http://www.linuxcertified.com/linux_laptops.html

Note: You CANNOT order directly from Lenovo as they refuse to supply anything other than MS OS's. They won't even ship without it. I'm only now beginning to realize what a stranglehold softee has on the home PC market...better late then never.

#56     Aug 27, 2005
  7. brandnew

brandnew

How come that you spend more time downloading patches? windows updates are auto, and they come once in a blue moon. :p

I guess Linux has more frequent updates than Windows, and that's the point people go for Linux, quick fixes.

#57     Aug 27, 2005
  8. brandnew

brandnew

I think this thread should be focus on Upgrade to Longhorn Windows. If you guys like Linux and have some Linux questions, go create a new thread!

#58     Aug 27, 2005
  9. Do you have friends who have MSDN subscriptions? It usually comes with 10 licenses.

#59     Aug 27, 2005
  10. skepticaltrader

skepticaltrader Guest

Do you have friends who have MSDN subscriptions? It usually comes with 10 licenses.

No friends you have MSDN subscriptions. Its been about 3 years since my friend gave me a copy of Windows XP, since then I haven't gotten any new Microsoft products. I did try and do an update awhile back and it Microsoft gave me an invalid valudation error. So now I can't get the latest patches. Anyone know a fix for this other than buying a valid copy of Windows XP?

#60     Aug 27, 2005