Is anybody going to Upgrade to Longhorn windows

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by mahram, Aug 22, 2005.

1. I have looked at open office before...briefly...Thanks. I do not want to close my mind.

#21     Aug 25, 2005
  2. Is there a way to run all the latest MS programs on Linux with some sort of emulation? I would think that MS would try and stop that?

#22     Aug 25, 2005
  3. Don't look any further. Keep on taking care of your mind!

E.S. you're a true believer.
    :)

#23     Aug 25, 2005
  4. Wine

Edit in:
    I don't think I'll ever have a need for it.

#24     Aug 25, 2005
  5. They cant. Even in the US you are free to write an emulator if it is done under the correct conditions.

Wine works for many $soft apps but not all, and its an emulator which is just not going to be as fast as native code.....

I tend to stay away from emulators except for things that really are not that important....

#25     Aug 25, 2005
  6. < quote from Wine >

You can already run a lot of applications without having Windows installed. But you have to realize that because Wine is still far from completion many applications will indeed require Windows for some functionality that Wine does not yet provide itself.

#26     Aug 25, 2005
  7. < quote from Wine >

Some people mean by that that Wine must emulate each processor instruction of the Windows application. This is plain wrong. As Wine's name says: "Wine Is Not an Emulator": Wine does not emulate the Intel x86 processor. It will thus not be as slow as Wabi which, since it is not running on a x86 Intel processor, also has to emulate the processor. Windows applications that do not make system calls will run just as fast as on Windows (no more no less).

It's very name and its initials. W. I. N. E. (Wine Is Not an Emulator)

#27     Aug 25, 2005
  8. brandnew

brandnew

Upgrade to Vista? I'm not going to upgrade, but buy a new box with Vista!

I wanna make sure I have all tools in my toolbox such as all windows, a few linux distros, and a mac.

#28     Aug 25, 2005
  9. Be a true contrarian...run linux on a mac. But seriously, I would take this approach too and add another puter' to my 8 port switch (I have 5 open ports, just waiting to be filled).

#29     Aug 25, 2005
  10. Yeah I don't know cause I haven't come across a situation yet where I needed to use msoft. But, I gather that there are alot of people who also still feel slaved to msoft. They use dual os option of running linux or windows, which is very easy to do with Grub (linux common issue boot loader). In fact alot of distro's come with this readily accessible.

#30     Aug 25, 2005