Is anybody going to Upgrade to Longhorn windows

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by mahram, Aug 22, 2005.

1. I will wait till sp2....we shall see.....sheesh I still have an old Windows 98 machine as one of my computers! (its my print server)

#11     Aug 25, 2005
  2. I really dont care which platform I use: I really only care about how productive the platform is for our business and the TCO.

Fees are zero and administration is much much lower according to our calculations: its just our analysis which we trust and every $ vendor will claim otherwise.

Our trading platform runs on Linux: part of it is from vendors and open source projects which we extended and part of it is our own developed code base.

If $soft becomes competitive on price, productivity and attitude then we might consider them again .... But ... I dont see how they can beat free so I doubt we will ever need to switch back ......

#12     Aug 25, 2005
  3. This can only happens to windoz sufferers.
    Suppose that you had an old computer running some old kind of UNIX. Would you still be running the same old UNIX today? NO, you would have had zillions of lowcost/free linux/unix, you name it, ways to upgrade. Not so for Windoz 98. You're stuck with it. What about ole DOS fellas?

#13     Aug 25, 2005
  4. I'm a retail trader and a retail user. Why would I limit my world to retail software available to get a free open source operating system that limits my retail choices, but is twice as good?

Sell me on Linux, I want you to.(is that a "hole" song?) go on take everything...take everythin...i want you to...go on take everything take everything I want you to...llalalala (Cramer should play that song as his opening theme :))

Michael B.

#14     Aug 25, 2005
  5. Exactly. The OS platform is really irrelevant. You use the one that mtches your application needs.

In our case our platforms are offered on linux and we have the expertise to engineer the software in either environment: Linux or Windows. Since in our case we have a choice, we chose the lower cost option.

Some people dont have this choice and their application stack has made it for them .....

#15     Aug 25, 2005
  6. "Why would I limit my world to retail software available to get a ["cheap"] operating system that limits my retail choices, but is twice as good?" Where did I hear that tune before? Must be during the 1995+ DEC(R.I.P.)/SUN?IBM years.
    I'm not selling anything. If you're happy with windoz, stick with it.
    If you want better, you'll have to work a little harder at it.
    :D

#16     Aug 25, 2005
  7. Put it this way gents/ladies,

ALL my software is free. Let me say that again for you guys who are still spending $100's ($1000's?) on software. FREE!

Not mention if I need assistance, I don't have to pick up a phone to talk to some idiot who can't give me an answer anyway. The OpenSource community is always willing to share info/expertise.

I'm all Linux all the time for 5 months already... and as tom petty sings... No, I, won't, look, back. :cool:

hth

#17     Aug 25, 2005
  8. What word processor do you use?

#18     Aug 25, 2005
  9. I still can't quite understand the business model of Linux world. If it's free, how can the developers make a living? I don't believe all of them contribute for free.

#19     Aug 25, 2005
  10. I'm still experimenting between Koffice and OpenOffice. OpenOffice is very similar to M$ office application. Koffice is a little simpler in some regards, but was very easy to dive into.

#20     Aug 25, 2005