Is an MBA worth it?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by WhiteOut56, Aug 19, 2010.

1. blox87

blox87 Guest

" 1.4 million more over a lifetime"..... That figure is missing some important details. It doesn't include self employed who make hundreds of thousands to millions a year who never went to college .

#31     Aug 23, 2010
  2. MBA is waste of money and time.

Depends on what you want to do. If you want to work for a major mulitnational company....or for GS......MBA is needed.

However, plenty of unemployed MBAs right now, as the Economic Structure of the World is changing.

Education is all ways a positive thing for the soul.

However, you may choose to find a very successful Small Business owner and gain employment...have him become your mentor. This is the route I took and I earn far more than most in the MBA arena.

I have learned a lot more than a "Typical" MBA program could teach about applicable business practices. What truly works, how to take action and how to make money. However, I was weak in some areas that MBA's have strength in. I'm all ways learning from my Clients in real time business moves, my business partner who was my boss at first is all so teaching me more and more.

I suppose if you wanted to spend the money and obtain your MBA for the sole purpose of truly learning and not expecting a high paying jo; or for the purpose of moving up in your company...makes sense.

FYI. My business partners is married to a PI lawyer. They are growing her law firm. Recently, they put an add in the paper, for an attorney. 75 people applied in two days and the final decision...he accepted for a pay of 35k. Of course, in the future, he can climb the ranks. But starting out, with an advance degree (LAW), he is only earning 35k. This salary is in a strong economic area, or stronger than most parts, San Antonio TX.

So, food for thought as far as current earning power of advance degrees. Things may change in the future.

#32     Aug 23, 2010
  3. I see no evidence for this, and if so, then it also doesn't include the many more who went bust trying to be self-employed and washing out, college or not.

#33     Aug 23, 2010