Is an MBA worth it?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by WhiteOut56, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Beginning in the fall of 1973, Bush attended the Harvard Business School, where he earned an MBA. He is the only U.S. President to have earned an MBA.[35]
    ----------------------------------------------
    must be a piece of cake :D :D

#21     Aug 19, 2010
  2. kxvid

kxvid

One needs to do something for bread, and something else to satisfy the human spirit.

That said, many MBA's make alot when the economy is good. When things go south, they may have trouble finding work and find their degree less useful. Lets be honest; folks with just MBA's right now are virtually unemployable. The only people that still have job security nowadays are those in the healthcare field, accounting field, and public sector fields. If you want job security, do something else.

#22     Aug 20, 2010
  3. You don't need MBA, if you're rich and connected.

#23     Aug 21, 2010
  4. Value of higher education:

i) signalling that you are smart, hard-working, or both
    ii) networking, connections
    iii) acquiring knowledge
    iv) having fun on campus, the experience of being at college

I would say the value is probably split 30/30/30/10. Also, to a large extent you get out what you put in.

I know someone who was an army officer, he left to do an MBA and got hired right after by a top accounting firm on a 6 figure salary. He couldn't have done that without the MBA. There are plenty more examples like that.

Sure, entrepreneur types can make a killing. So can basketball players. But what happens if the economy turns down, the business goes sour, you lose your touch etc. Then you are just another uneducated bum with some rapidly dwindling savings. A good education and its status lasts for life.

Example - if two guys are chasing a smoking hot 25 year old woman who wants to get married, and they are equal in most respects but one has a top degree from Harvard or Oxbridge and the other left school at 16, who do you think has the edge? Especially when her parents start giving her advice on who to choose. People are somewhat superficial and status counts for a lot, even though talent and hard work "should" be the only thing that matters.

#24     Aug 21, 2010
  5. it's worth it if you get to the top few - harvard, wharton, columbia, sloan, kellege, stanford, and maybe nyu stern due to the location.

Otherwise it's a waste of money and time...

#25     Aug 21, 2010
  6. the1

the1

If you are unemployed getting an MBA will not get you a job but if you have a job it will definitely help you advance in your career. As one poster mentioned, it helps you deal with people and it helps you improve your communication skills dramatically.

Bottom line...if you don't have a job getting an MBA is a waste of time and money. If you do have a job definitely get the degree and see if your company will pay for it.

#26     Aug 21, 2010
  7. I think the answer is pretty cleared. An MBA from a prestigious school is worth it. In essence, an MBA is a brand that will enhance your professional image.

So, my question to you is, if you can get into an MBA program from a prestigious school, would you borrow money for it?

PA

#27     Aug 21, 2010
  8. if it's one of the schools i mentioned, yes.

#28     Aug 21, 2010
  9. In a not so distant future, MCDs and Walmart and gas stations will require MBAs to be hired.

This is already underway, as underpaid supervisor jobs at McCompanies already require these degrees for under $60k/yr.

#29     Aug 23, 2010
  10. Its all relative as they say. My friend got one from a no name school in Riverside and now he makes about 20k more per year as Controller for a large municipality. He was just recruited for being City Controller of a decent High Desert town but didn't want to live there. The job paid 160k. Right now I think he gets high 80's.

Look people on this forum with have you believe no one in IT is getting hired and everything is in India or China. My wife's cousin works for HSBC in Dublin and they are hiring all over Dublin for IT she told. If you are in construction no.

#30     Aug 23, 2010