Is a mentor necessary to have success as a trader

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by OPTIONAL777, Jul 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    #41     Jul 13, 2003
  2. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Sure he does. But for how long? This is the third thread in a week on this subject. Is there any point at which he's willing to say that enough is enough? And why just BF? Why not go after every advertiser who offers a service? Is every one of them above reproach?

This has nothing to do with due diligence. It's just childish envy.

#42     Jul 13, 2003
  3. bdixon,

furthermore, outrageous statements like "many of today's most succesful traders have been mentored by ......... " call into question the motives and abilities of those making these obviously false statements.

optional is merely acting as a mirror reflecting back perceptions of the statements made. as you know, he has pointed out obvious inconsistencies in several of my statements forcing me to look closer at myself-- so i am not immuned to his pursuit. optional never says anything that has not already been said by whatever party is in question. in my opinion, he serves a vital function in this temperal world of messages sent across space/time--- that function is the discovery of truth whatever the cost.

best,

surfer:)

#43     Jul 13, 2003

4. wrong. envy ??? LOL !

:eek:

#44     Jul 13, 2003
  5. Until he gets an answer. I haven't looked at the other threads. But there has been ample opportunity here to answer. If all this is of no concern to Brandon, then, he shouldn't be kicking when someone raises a protest. That is to say, if he is above board with his practices then he should have no problem in proving his claims.

As for advertisers on this site...I think it depends on the the service being offered and what price is being asked. And if other advertisers are any clue, I would say the people who survive in the service industry are those who have proved the value of their service. If Trading From Mainstreet continues to thrive and no customers have complaints then this is a tempest in a teapot. However, if Optional's questions go unanswered and some customers are emboldened to complain, a valuable service has been rendered.

People wanting to learn how to trade do get hoodwinked by advertisers. For some people trading may be the last opportunity or the only opportunity to stand on their own. If those who have been around the block a few times can save some of these souls from being parted from their money through questionable business practices then the time and the energy expended have been well spent.

Bruce

#45     Jul 13, 2003
  6. I have been a fulltime daytrader for 3 yrs. I have bought all the books (over 100), been a member of most of the "popular trading chat rooms.....
    Yet I can honestly say that my trading never blossomed like when I was in a room of other traders who were actually MAKING MONEY every day.

I could talk to them before and after the market to get ideas, I never learned anything from them I didn't know..... but....

They "taught" me how to have confidence to be aggressive when I was correct on my trades and to have discipline and "make what I should" when I was right. I always had discipline to cut losses. Thats what kept me in the game long enough to still be here.
    What my trading lacked was believing I could make money, not just not lose money and hang on....

I don't think they could be called a mentor, but it helps to be around someone doing it. My only problem with chat rooms is you don't really know if the person making the calls is really taking the trades, or just making calls because everyone in the room is paying for calls.
    I don't know if this answers the post, but I know for a fact it makes a big difference to actually see someone making a living.

#46     Jul 13, 2003
  7. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

A. Brandon doesn't owe Optional an answer or anything else.

B. If you haven't looked at the other threads, perhaps you'd like to do so before making assumptions regarding Optional's motives.

C. Answer what? Both of you are assuming that those who are interested in taking advantage of BF's offer are too stupid to determine for themselves whether or not his services provide value.

Optional has made his point. And made it. And made it. And made it. It has long since become something personal. Perhaps a better poll would ask how many people are desperately in need of Optional's protection?

#47     Jul 13, 2003

8. Yes you're right, Brandon owes nothing to anyone. And yes, Optional777 has shown his personal insecurities.

There's no doubt that Option777 has self worth issues. Otherwise this non-issue bullshit Brandon minutia would have never occurred to him.

Unfortunate really.

Dr. Zhivodka

--As they grow soon they'll see that *they* are the problem, Not the other guy -- :)

#48     Jul 13, 2003
  9. A. If Brandon doesn't owe Optional anything then he shouldn't protest Optional's attitude either.

B. I didn't look at the other threads because I am only concerned with this thread and in the coming week's performance. I have been in the chatroom when both were there, so I do have a sort of background against which to compare my experiences there and here with what I perceive to be 'fair' treatment. I am assuming Optional's postings are motivated by a pursuit of truth.

C. I assume nothing of the kind. I have said traders have been hoodwinked by purported gurus, masters, what-have-you before. I am approaching the coming week with an open mind. I am willing to take Brandon at his word and his proof will be in his doing. He offered proof of the value of his trading competency, so I am willing to let him prove it.

Yes, Optional continues to make his point. Eventually, people begin to listen and question for themselves or they say they are done listening to the ravings of a lunatic. The choice is yours.

Bruce

Substituted the word 'postings' for the word motives in Para. B.

#49     Jul 13, 2003
  10. Daal

Daal

all trading success cames to this book.period
    <A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0070647623/speculationar-20">
    tharps</A>
    I DO respect the guy who wrote. Specially because he is HARSH, he showed me how ridiculous are those methods out there.
    He likes to critique everything, I DO like to do this myself so I pretty much have some rapport with him.

#50     Jul 13, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.