Is a mentor necessary to have success as a trader

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by OPTIONAL777, Jul 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i'mlong

i'mlong

I think Brandon is absolutely correct. Been in the business for almost 10 years and 9 out of 10 of all the best traders I know have had a mentor early on in their trading careers. I am certain that I wouldn't have experienced as much success if I didn't have mine. I watched and emulated one of the best traders during my learning year. You end up customizing your own style but to be able to have a "mentor" is not the same as just sitting next to someone who is successful. When I refer to a "mentor", I mean someone who has in interest in your success. I'm sure there are some who say they don't need one but that's because they didn't have one. Having a true mentor is priceless.

#11     Jul 13, 2003
  2. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

#12     Jul 13, 2003
  3. I think a high majority of all new Traders would choose mentoring over teaching themselves how to trade,but finding a good mentor is like searching for the Holy Grail,in the end the new Traders either teach themselves or call it a day.There will be a small percentage of people who got lucky and found a good mentor.

#13     Jul 13, 2003
  4. omcate

omcate

#14     Jul 13, 2003
  5. i'mlong

i'mlong

That is so true.

#15     Jul 13, 2003
    #16     Jul 13, 2003
  7. I quite agree. My point of the thread is not whether mentors can help, if you can find the right mentor, but whether or not mentoring as suggested and sold as a service by Brandon is essential to success.

Brandon claims that nearly everyone who is successful agrees with his perspective on mentoring, and I don't believe that statement to be true, I believe many have become successful without a mentoring process....and if Brandon's statements are not true then he falls into the category of hyping by a salesman to sell a product or service.

Once some has been shown themselves and their business practices as those of a liar or one prone to exaggeration, you begin to wonder what else they are lying about or exaggerating about.

Brandon put his credibility on the line, I am simply employing a poll as a means of testing that credibility.

#17     Jul 13, 2003
  8. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Based on the way you've set this up, you can't make this statement unless you can demonstrate that everyone who has responded to the poll is making a living out of trading. And I somehow doubt that this is the case.

Now if you want to create another poll which reads "anyone trading" rather than "anyone living the dream of trading for a living", your results might differ considerably. But then that would have nothing to do with BF's original statement.

#18     Jul 13, 2003
  9. funky

funky

if that is true, then that is very sad. i personally sought after direction -- this is part of how i start to learn anything that i want to master. you may not find the perfect teacher, and the 'teaching' may be very informal, but this is vital. people who give for nothing in return are very easy to spot. they stick out like sore thumbs most of the time. unfortunately, alot of people FEAR asking that person for help. this is a problem throughout all human nature.

you'd be surprised how easy it is to find help if you try. you'd be even more surprised to find out that the best help is usually free.

#19     Jul 13, 2003
  10. funky

funky

exactly.

#20     Jul 13, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.