is a high implied volatility same as high vix

Discussion in 'Trading' started by TITANIMUM, Aug 28, 2014.

1. veteran option traders like Tom Sonsoff say that in a study of 5 years data, selling straddles or doing iron butterflies have more profit, if the implied volatility is higher, ~=>50. since we are in a low vix period, is it less suitable time to do iron butterflies or short straddles now? high implied volatility = high vix? and low implied volatility = low vix, or have they nothing to do with each other?

2. convexx

convexx

When you buy a var-swap you are "exchanging" current implieds (strike) for realized. The analogy holds for isolating vol and excluding any dynamic hedge. Selling 50-line is great if realized goes to 40. Less great if it goes to 80. Sosnoff is another bag of cats.

3. Brighton

Brighton

Are you referring to 50% annualized implied volatility or to the Tasty Trade percentile, which I *think* measures a constant (30 day) option over a year and then ranks today vs. the range?

4. Implied volatility precedes volatility and its best example is when she says to you, "we've got to talk"

5. Yes, implied volatility is future looking, predicted volatility right? is this not the same as vix? as a sizeable number of traders look at the vix as a predictor.
    high vix = high implied volatility?

6. Yes Sir. I do too.

7. If August 1 VIX wave top is taken out, its Adios amigo

VIX double bottom on monthly = Empire Buster rocket launch

And that's not even counting Putin's play, that's just Obama alone

8. Vix daily:

see the circled wave 4 in chart? That marked a 1-yr consolidation in the Vix. That be the signature of an ending downwave in that the next wave down is the terminal wave.

VIX daily.png

9. Empire busting = here we go adios = here come the Chinese

Double bottom neckline broken already but nobody paid attention.

Buy Salvation Army stock as Americans pour in in droves

Vix monthly double bottom neckline broken.png

10. You probably know this already but its worth drilling it in anyway, personally I like it when the wise say it to me for it does wake me up

High Vix = high fear

Low Vix = high complacency = no fear

Now review the present situation especially with some of the threads here at ET going FREEEEEEE money, S&P will never go down never never never = no fear = complacency

AfterLos avoids such people like the plague and uses their stuff to further confirm CAUTION and PREPS for reversal

As you should easily gather: Vix = Warren Buffett's advise at Tops and Bottoms

#10     Aug 30, 2014