Is a Graphics Card Necessary?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Eldredge, Aug 28, 2018.

1. DaveV

DaveV

I continue to recommend DellOutlet. If you want a very small desktop, check out the Optiplex 7000 line. At 7.2" x 6.9" x 1.5" (74 cubic inches) it is 1/3 the size of your goal (220 cubic inches)l. I bought one last year with i7-7700 CPU, 16GB ram, 512GB PCI M.2 SSD, Windows 10 Pro and 3-year warranty for $800. The only problem is that it supports only 2 monitors, so one of mine is a 32-inch. It also supports an additional internal SSD drive. Here is the link, inventory changes almost daily: https://tinyurl.com/yaerxwtr

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    #11     Aug 29, 2018
    Eldredge likes this.
  2. This from Dell's website...

"... Multi-monitor support: Up to 3 monitors can be connected to the 7050 Micro with the purchase of an additional video port..."

I believe there are also "USB monitors" one might work into the mix. In some cases, you can "daisy chain" USB monitors and have a whole bunch of them.

#12     Aug 29, 2018
    DaveV likes this.
  3. rb7

rb7

You want it to be portable with 3 monitors!!!!!!!!
    How this can be possible?

Why not buy a laptop instead?

#13     Aug 29, 2018
    JSOP and MarkBrown like this.
  4. JSOP

JSOP

Never ever buy a Dell! The components that they put in are not always compatible with their motherboard and you can have them fried. I went through 2 Dells, one dell laptop, 1 year and its CPU is gone, my 2nd Dell desktop (thinking their flagship desktop would be better), sound card fried after just 5 years. Dell used to make quality computers but not anymore. It's very disappointing. Maybe this is prob. the reason why the company is dropped from S&P 500.

Build your own computer is always cheaper especially if you can get deals on the components.

#14     Aug 29, 2018
    Eldredge likes this.
  5. JSOP

JSOP

ASUS PA248Q is an awesome monitor!! The best monitor for the biggest bang for the buck. Except a few sudden flickering, the monitor works great!

#15     Aug 29, 2018
    Eldredge likes this.
  6. DaveV

DaveV

I doubt that you can build your own computer for less than DellOutlet charges. Other than that I agree with just about everything else that you stated. However, I rarely plan to keep a computer much longer than their 3 year warranty, so I shop by price.

#16     Aug 29, 2018
    Eldredge likes this.
  7. JSOP

JSOP

Then you end up paying more in the long run. If you spend let's say $500 every 3 years, after 9 years, you would've spent $1500. But if I can buy a better quality computer or build my own for $1100, I spent more initially but if it lasts me for 10 years which i s usually the longevity of a quality computer, then I would've saved $400 in the long run and still outlasted you for 1 year. This is how some countries make money, make things cheap and only lasts you a short amount of time to force you to keep spending and they make all the money. It's very disappointing to see Dell is copying those countries' business model.

#17     Aug 29, 2018
    Simples and Eldredge like this.
  8. Eldredge

Eldredge

Thanks Dave. I didn't realize that they have desktops that small. I will check it out.

#18     Aug 29, 2018
  9. Eldredge

Eldredge

I have monitors and peripherals in my home office and at my work office, so I only have to transport the computer. I am looking at getting three of the ASUS portable monitors that are only 1/2" thick for when I travel so I can put everything in a reasonably sized case.

I really like having everything I do on one computer (not a desktop and separate laptop), and I don't care for laptops' keyboards and small screens. I can also make a little more powerful computer for the price building a desktop. A notebook would be convenient though.

#19     Aug 29, 2018
  10. EvanDM

EvanDM

Also check out the any of the Lenovo Tiny computers. I have a m92p right now and it works flawsly. I’m about to get a 710 that can run 3 monitors. They are about 1.5x7x7.5. You can find them new or refurbished for $300 to $700

#20     Aug 29, 2018
    Eldredge likes this.