Is a Graphics Card Necessary?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Eldredge, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Eldredge

Eldredge

I am debating about building a new trading computer in the near future. I am looking at an "ASUS ROG Strix Z370-I Gaming LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z370 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard" with an "Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 95W BX80684I78700K Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630" Processor. Would this be adequate to run 3 1920x1080 monitors without a graphics card? I don't do any gaming, this will just be for trading and typical Microsoft Office stuff - some big Excel work sheets...

Thanks for the help.

2. DaveV

DaveV

Assuming your case and onboard graphics support 3 monitors, no you won't need a graphics card just for trading and MS Office.

BTW, before going to the trouble of building your own system, I would check out DellOutlet.com ; You will be hard pressed to beat their prices, and they come with a 3 year warranty.

Eldredge likes this.
  3. Eldredge

Eldredge

Thanks Dave. I am building because I want to make it as small and portable as possible so I will be making the case. I built my current one based on ATX Micro board about 5 years ago, but I want to go even smaller this time - and not leave room for graphics cards...

4. Specs say that mobo will support 3 monitors. Graphic requirements for trading are minimal, so if you get the 1920x1080 res you want, you should be good to go.

Eldredge likes this.
  5. dozu888

dozu888

if you have to ask, then the answer is NO.

Eldredge likes this.
  6. Eldredge

Eldredge

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I should be good to go...

7. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

running these for many years so maybe cheap now. i like 1900x1200 display because it matches my backup laptop resolution.

PA248 on NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960

powering

ASUS PA248Q 24" ProArt Professional

Eldredge likes this.
  8. Eldredge

Eldredge

Thanks for the suggestion Mark. I am trying to avoid using a graphics card so that I can make this computer as small as possible. Without a graphics card, I think I can get it down to 8"x11"x2.5" or a little less which would make it real easy to transport with 3 portable monitors. That way I can use the same computer at home/office/and travel - I don't care for notebooks.

MarkBrown likes this.
  9. You can find a VGA spliter , one input and many output.
    In my opinion, people who buy very expensive graphics for trading are idiots except if they have complex algorithms that uses the floating point processors of those cards which is something I am sure many don't know about !

Eldredge likes this.
  10. traider

traider

you need 4K resolution to see the best tick trading patterns :sneaky:

#10     Aug 29, 2018
    oddhours and Eldredge like this.