Is a career path from scheduler to trader difficult?

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by bluflame, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Completely agree! Energy forum, then Ag forum, then it goes down hill fast with nothing but useless drivel and slap-fights in the rest...

#11     Mar 26, 2009
  2. that is my guess. I had siblings who worked for a national natural gas/propane company. And trying to get this kind of answer off a forum seems really guesswork.

He wants an answer, go talk to the gas traders for his company. At least they have a clue how they got there.

#12     Mar 26, 2009
  3. I interviewed with Shell for a real time trader position and the guy interviewing my said that 4 out the 5 RT traders he had working for him started as schedulers. Energy is tough to break into, i've been trying for at least a year now with only 1 interview in the last year.

#13     Mar 26, 2009
  4. ogarb, paparoach, lynx, thegazzelle, Bone, and rbob trader all work in Physical natty I believe (or at least have) These are the highest quality threads on ET. I'm not trying to be argumentative at all, but it would serve anybody to read through these forums. There are some real gems.

#14     Mar 26, 2009
  5. actually, apart from helping out on a couple power deals many moons ago, I have never worked in physical anything

#15     Mar 27, 2009
  6. monty09

monty09

I would not say the jump is tough to make but more the culture of the firm to make it.

For instance, if you have some turnover or a growing desk then it may happen quicker. If you have a head of trading that rather hire exp people then bring someone up then it may be tough.

Often times there is much more happening then the person simply requesting a job. You need a few things to happen or go your way.

#16     Mar 27, 2009

7. I stand corrected, my apologies.

#17     Mar 28, 2009
  8. bluflame

bluflame

It sounds like a move into scheduling would be a good career path into trading. Thanks for all of your input.

#18     Apr 6, 2009
  9. Getting your foot in the door isn't impossible. The shop I work for has ads up looking for *inexperienced* people at the moment...

#19     Apr 6, 2009