Is a Bloomberg worth it?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by aeliodon, Nov 21, 2007.

1. I'm not surprised....as I believe it is coded in C++....which is FAST, but very difficult to make FLEXIBLE and ADAPTABLE.
    Note: I called their sales department....and their AUTOMATED trading platform licenses for 6 figures !

#31     Feb 11, 2008
  2. The DowJones news wire plus looks interesting.

I have looked at the site but cant see how to get it as a stand alone product.

I see esignal offers the service at $125 a month as an add on.

I dont have esignal is that one of the few ways to get the news service or does it come as a stand alone product somewhere?

thanks

#32     Feb 12, 2008
  3. just21

just21

Scrolling news in a browser, no platform required. Apparently it is as fast as from any other source www.dowjonesnews.com Not sure the cost yet. Sign up for the free trial.

#33     Feb 12, 2008
  4. Did you check against DJ via browser vs DJ on CQG or other platform?
    :eek:

#34     Feb 12, 2008
  5. just21

just21

Claim from the sales department!

#35     Feb 12, 2008
  6. Just signed up for free trial. Will let you guys know when i get a reply from them.

#36     Feb 12, 2008
  7. just21

just21

www.dowjonesnews.com is £106 a month in London, 12 month contract. Not sure if that includes sales tax which is 17.5% here. What is the price in the US?

#37     Feb 12, 2008
  8. Its $125 as an add on to esignal.

I havent had a reply re free trial as yet.

#38     Feb 12, 2008
  9. just21

just21

You cannot get the US securities news for $125 outside the US on esignal. They are segmenting the market. Maybe I should call up and use a US address.

#39     Feb 12, 2008
  10. To us, Bloomberg is worth every penny ($1,700/month for just one or $1,450/month for each when there are multiple terminals in the same office). We use it as a research tool to study virtually every market around the world.

If you trade only US stocks and you're not interested in how UK interest rates afftected the Thai baht in 2001, then a BBG terminal is likely not for you. If you want to study the relationship between crude and the euro or gold or US interest rates, then it probably is for you.

From a research standpoint, the charts are excellent. From a short-term trading standpoint, it lacks some obvious features.

If you're doing research on something at 2am on Christmas morning and need tech support, then BBG is awesome (though, granted, they're much better at helping with simple problems like the ones we used to have as opposed to the tougher issues we sometimes have now).

All that said, we like it a lot, and it's a worthwhile investment for us. It's not for everybody, though.

#40     Feb 12, 2008