Is a Bloomberg worth it?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by aeliodon, Nov 21, 2007.

1. how much does it cost for a single user?

o nm, seen someone say 3k a month. i duno if they sent service ladies in little mini skirts to service the 'terminal' it could be worth it.

#11     Nov 22, 2007
  2. i believe bloomberg professional is 1600/month

#12     Nov 22, 2007
  3. MTE

MTE

It's $1,500 or so. Real-time data is extra.

#13     Nov 22, 2007
  4. jumper

jumper

You have to tack on exchange fees and diff news feeds. ie, NYSE, NAZ, AMEX, options, DJ, etc.

#14     Nov 22, 2007
  5. just21

just21

Does the $1600 include the private circuit? Does anyhbody use Bloomberg Anywhere over the internet?

#15     Feb 11, 2008
  6. Bloomberg is great for news provided you have a dedicated circuit. Not remotely worth it for running their canned analytics. $1,700 monthly w/o exchange fees.

#16     Feb 11, 2008

7. The charts are weak, their is no tick data, and you can't even change the intraday settings sayto a 27 minute chart. You get 5,10,15,30,60.

The charts IMO are weak. It's for hedge funds who have postition all over the world, or banks.

Unless your running alot of money and have a 24-7 staff you really don't need one, unless you just want it.

#17     Feb 11, 2008
  8. just21

just21

I want to see if I can trade off the news without getting a private circuit. I missed the aig news today and the cme news last week. How did you get this news?

#18     Feb 11, 2008
  9. mokwit

mokwit

It does a lot of things and does everything OK. What you are also paying for is a cartel pricing structure, server and leased line redundancy and a help desk that has a good attitude rather than an attitude problem. Business model is totally different from retail vendors e.g a few stable high value lcients rather than high turnover low value. Also corporate IT hate compulsory upgrades.

If you are doing size it pays for itself, if you are retail less likely to. Nice to have and viable to have may not be the same thing. I desperately miss some features but from a business standpoint I cannot justify the cost. Most retail would be appalled by the lack of customisation ability e.g If BBG even has Woodies CCI, you can't customise it to your favourite colours. They would also find it's DOS like style of operation maddening.

Try Metastock Quotecenter, it has an institutional heritage and is almost like getting BBG for $135/month.

As far as getting an easy edge from having BBG, you wold just get the same edge as the thousands of other traders who have it. Having that info and knowing how to use it would give you an edge over others who have it.

#19     Feb 11, 2008
  10. Also you pay the professional exchange fees, NYSE is $200.

#20     Feb 11, 2008