Is A Bloomberg Terminal Worth It?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GlobalMacro90, May 26, 2022.

1. the way you asking this question lead me to believe you don't need it. i do IT support for a trade floor that do fix income trading like MBS and ppl like them use bloomberg with excel spreadsheet.

#11     May 27, 2022
  2. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Whose going to be paying for a bloomberg terminal out of their own pocket and say it's not worth it?

I pay for one. I use it because while i can get the data from other places, it would be a lot more time consuming and difficult to integrate. The time I save, allows me to scale my efforts more effectively. For me the 30k is well worth that. But my notionals are much higher than an average retail account (though smaller than an institutional account) and so time/$ is more valuable for me.

#12     May 27, 2022
    tonyf, ajensen, MoreLeverage and 2 others like this.
  3. %%
    Sounds like its worth it;
    if fixed income + a bank. Even though one Bloomberg salesman could make an error; he said his sales [leases]are to banks + no stock traders...............................................Ex CEO of MCD says those MCD tear downs to the ground most likely will not pay for themselves, but they do it anyway.

#13     May 27, 2022
  4. trismes

trismes

Take a look at Refinitiv Eikon their main competitor. You can get Xenith (which is their retail version) for peanuts, and depending on what you're looking for, has a lot of the same functionality. Charting sucks balls; they've just had to buy in Trading View to upgrade theirs, there's no messaging for retail version but it covers a hell of a lot of bases.
    But similarly you need to know why you need it though before you get it, same as BB.

#14     Jun 1, 2022
  5. xandman

xandman

Oh, charting bond funds based on Total Return is a godsend for comparing to non-income generating assets.

Looking at a long term stock chart of an income etf is just plain useless. WHy the heck doesn't anybody provide that on free charting sites.

BBG was built for bond traders, initially.

#15     Jun 11, 2022
    murray t turtle likes this.
  6. Morningstar used to do total return comparisons for mutual funds, including dividend reinvestment. If you used a mutual fund as the primary ticker for the chart, you could compare it to stocks, ETFs, etc, and get similar total return charts even if they wouldn’t have included dividends for those if they were the primary ticker.

#16     Jun 13, 2022
  7. ph1l

ph1l

barchart.com lets you show prices adjusted for dividends (splits are automatically shown).
    upload_2022-6-13_20-23-7.png

#17     Jun 13, 2022
  8. tallguy

tallguy

if you want to pay for a terminal then check out pro.benzinga.com but like everyone else said - know why you need it before you get it

#18     Jun 13, 2022
  9. I was trying to find some opinions on whether a subscription to Bloomberg news is worth it and landed here, read the replies and wanted to join in on the fun...

As a software engineer, I am pretty sure this was made by another software engineer and boy if we SUCK at making user interfaces! I quite agree the UI is bad lol. There are many assumptions being made there..

I can confirm the tedium is real.

#19     Feb 24, 2023
  10. THAT's what the Bloomberg salesman noted also, but he was a friend;
    but he never noted pig trends\
    or tulip trends\ so depends on what a trader wants.
    barchart.com has some good turtle channels, but inaccurate volume.

#20     May 1, 2023