Is a Bloomberg/Reuters terminal still worth it now that social medias exist?

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by tylerbose, Mar 4, 2018.

1. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

My cost is approx. 2100/month + market data which is another 215/month. There is no tiered service. You get the professional and then you can subscribe to specific data if you want it but the base package is 99% complete.

#31     Mar 5, 2018
  2. Bobbybax

Bobbybax

When I subscribed in 2003, you had to sign a 2 year contract. Not sure if this still applies.

#32     Mar 5, 2018
  3. truetype

truetype

Yes, they insist on relatively long-term contracts to avoid a§§clowns who subscribe for a month, drain historical data from the API, then cancel.

#33     Mar 5, 2018
  4. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Yes. Still a 2 year contract with a 50% out clause.

#34     Mar 5, 2018

5. Another shill/troll post. Epidemic here. No one could possibly be this dumb

#35     Mar 5, 2018
  6. Even if twitter was useful. the amount of feces you have to wade through to get to the gems is enormous.

#36     Mar 5, 2018
  7. vanzandt

vanzandt

Ya know JR... thats not true.
    If you have ever read Peter Lynch, some of his best performers when he was running Magellan came from his kids. Gap Stores is one I remember.
    I like playing EA, ATVI, and TTWO both long and short over the last ten years.... I am always asking my friend's kids what the hot game they are all playing is. Just like what music they are listening to.

I knew CMG was a hit when it IPO'd at ($28 but it opened at like $41) because every kid in town was going there 3 times per week and raving about how good it was. And I specifically remember Cramer saying it was "overpriced" at $48. Pffff. (I bought in and sold at $62 lol)

So yeah JR.... don't underestimate what Maxpossiblesuffering is pointing out. The more data the better.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    #37     Mar 5, 2018
  8. helgen_1

helgen_1

If you want to go the budget route, Reuters has the Xenith platform which is the retail version of Eikon. They offer it through Metastock.

H.

#38     Mar 5, 2018
    apdxyk, truetype and learner88 like this.
  9. DeltaRisk

DeltaRisk

You might want to take a chance on Eikon.
    I use it, it’s much less complicated.

I’d say what I really think about this, but I do not want any lawyers contacting me.

#39     Mar 5, 2018
  10. For a trader who is mostly into stocks, is it necessary to pay for Reuters or Bloomberg? Wouldn't IBKR TWS be sufficient? I get the impression that expensive terminals are more for fixed income people, not retail stock investors.

#40     Mar 6, 2018