Is 99% of trading a grind for everybody?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by pk3r1234, Sep 29, 2017.

1. pk3r1234

pk3r1234

I've been trading for 3 years and you'd think by now I should be doing better than I did a year ago. I can consistently make money every week but I always feel like it's very hard earned/grindy and requires a lot of attention (two steps forward 1 step back). A couple days out of the month I'll have days where I do pretty well but most days stuff doesn't pan out the way I want it too even if it is "just" profitable. I've had stuff in the past that has felt very easy and was basically free money but usually that stuff only lasts for a month or so. Is it the same for all of you? or am I just bad and you're all nailing it high to the park regardless

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. Xela

Xela

You're certainly doing better than I was, at an equivalent stage, if you can consistently make money every week!

Very much so ... I strongly suspect that's actually far more common than you've appreciated.

Doesn't sound too bad to me (though you should constantly be analyzing and looking for ways to improve overall outcomes, of course). It's also pretty normal (for many - not all - types of trading) for the majority of the overall profit to come from a smallish minority of the trades, and that's by no means an indication that you're doing anything "wrong".

I don't think so. But you'll probably need to post much more specfically about what you're actually doing, and how, and what your risk-management and trade-managements parameters are (which, obviously, not everyone wants to do in public) to get more specific, detailed replies that might offer more insight.

3. Truth_

Truth_

Sounds about right, no such thing as a free lunch.

If you have completed a thousand trades, and the statement "I can consistently make money every week", remains true and accurate. As in, an analysis your trading statements shows appropriate draw downs, risk, win/loss, and expectancy etc.

And you have a strategy to deal with a reversal in the market, which you might not have yet encountered.

Then go on a capital drive.
    Same work, mo' money.

777 likes this.
  4. Handle123

Handle123

No longer a grind for me, it is called automation. Spend my time doing what I enjoy, developing more systems.

5. Everyone has 'systems' that mint money.

But have you ever heard even one of them describe, even after the 'system' stopped working , what it was , or how it worked?

Lol.

Now excuse me, I have to go back to monitoring my systems.

6. Grantx

Grantx

Just wondering, are you trading full time?

7. I think you need to determine if a system stopped working or if you just have draw down. Also, even if the system stopped working, it could again start working next year or maybe make some small changes without over optimization.

777 likes this.
  8. MACD

MACD

Guess then, I am the exception. I have a profitable system that I have shared with several traders here at ET and friends and relatives. No charge, no strings. It can only help you to share so why not. "Do good, you get good -- do bad you get bad." (Buddhist Quote)

9. qxr1011

qxr1011

something is fishy in your explanation... but i do not know what
    if i am wrong - you doing great

10. just do other things. Wake up, put orders in to buy the Dow and the ES with orders in to take profit, and go to the pub!

#10     Sep 29, 2017