Is 56 winners out of 64 total positions a good trading record?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by mrmarket, Mar 2, 2004.

1. gms

gms

Quote from dbphoenix:

Because you keep asking it.

I bring it up because it's a good question and hasn't been answered, although Michael's response was food for thought. Again though, I'd rather get it from the horse's mouth. So I repeat the question because I'd like an answer. It's a good question. My raising the question again prompts you to repeat your stuff. What a vicious cycle. I'm in the cycle to get my questions answered, and you're in this cycle to.... do what?

If he doesn't respond to you, perhaps it's because of your "gotcha" attitude. As for what you said and what you didn't say, I suggest you review your own posts.

I've reviewed the primary post in question. I see that I was quite clear in stating that these actions suggested the matters I brought forth as questions.

It's interesting that I hypothesize mm's possible reasons for not averaging down, and you criticize me for so doing, yet, here you are hypothesizing what may be mm's reason for not answering me.

Asking pointed questions and examining statements is not part and parcel of a 'gotcha' attitude.

You assert that my questions are "idiotic" because mm's methods, you maintain, do not have to meld with my ideas, with how I would do things, doesn't need to conform to my precepts, or for that matter, what would seem to be my reasonable expectation of what one would do. As you wrote when you chastised me, "Because he doesn't do what you think he ought to do, much less do what you do, he has to be wrong."

Yet, it wasn't all too long ago that you were critical of Jack Hershey on this forum, and why?? Because he didn't contain his whole trading strategy to a few lines on one page, which was according to your frame of reference. Again, applicable is what you wrote, "Because he doesn't do what you think he ought to do, much less do what you do, he has to be wrong."

So, before going forward with any sort of response to me, kindly please first apply the same standards you're citing to me, and make an endeavor to measure up to them yourself.

Hey, BTW, I am enjoying the price and volume thread. But I have no questions about it yet.

#91     Mar 4, 2004
  2. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

So you'll keep repeating it until you get an answer? Why not send over a couple of thugs and beat it out of him? :cool:

As for Hershey, the situations are in no way similar. MM talks sense. Hershey talks nonsense. I have no idea whether Hershey is right or wrong and neither does anyone else because no one can understand what he's talking about. MM, on the other hand, is perfectly clear. One can disagree with him, but there's nothing mysterious about what he does.

All of which is extraneous to the issue of what constitutes a loser and what constitutes down-averaging. MM chooses to define these differently that you do. That's his privilege. If anyone is bothered by it, I guess they'll just have to get over it.

#92     Mar 4, 2004
  3. gms

gms

Then is it not my privilege, on this forum, to ask whatever question I have in mind, as often as I care to?

#93     Mar 4, 2004
  4. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Knock yourself out :)

#94     Mar 4, 2004
  5. gee a million tanks for your permission mister po leece man:-/

#95     Mar 4, 2004
  6. gms

gms

I will.

So, mrmarket, my questions are on the floor.

BTW, footnote to db: Hershey made some sense to me, and to some others. Yet, I asked him questions too.

#96     Mar 4, 2004
  7. Mr Markets dirtly little secret

Just for fun I backtested a system similar to Mr Market over
    the last 12 years for NYSE stocks.

-------------------------------------------------------
    Here are the rules:

ENTRY:
    Choose a RANDOM stock
    Stock is up 50%+ in last 6 months (momentum)
    Price is over $20
    Daily volume over 500,000
    1% of account put into each trade (So I can have 100 revenue streams)

EXIT:
    15% target
    ** NO STOP **
    ----------------------------------------------

====Mr Market style RESULTS====

100% win rate! Surprise! NOT! :D
    80 consecutive winners!!! Big surprise...NOT!

80 CONSECUTIVE WINNERS!! CAN *YOU* DO THAT??!?!?
    I AM HUUUUGE!!! BRING ME YOUR FINEST FURRY MEATS AND CHEESES! :D

===== Now the REAL results ========

20% of revenue streams got "stuck" in bad trades.
    If forced to close out positions, ACTUAL RETURN
    for 12 years is a mere 112%

But wait!! How is that possible with 80 consecutive winners?!?!?
    Thats even MORE than Mr Market!!! :D
    I AM HUGE!!

I hope this illustrates why his bragging is completely WORTHLESS.

peace

axeman

#97     Mar 4, 2004
  8. well....his wife did vote for him at hotrnot several times....

Michael B.

P.S. please I mean no disrespect, the arguments are valid he does not answer me either....

#98     Mar 4, 2004
  9. I repeat: 80 CONSECUTIVE WINNERS!! CAN *YOU* DO THAT??!?!?
    I AM HUUUUGE!!! BRING ME YOUR FINEST FURRY MEATS AND CHEESES!

Now put up, or shut up Mr Market.

List ALL your trades for the last 12 years, and stop dodging
    everyone.

My mechanical system STOMPS your system with 80 consecutive trades!!
    :D

peace

axeman

#99     Mar 4, 2004
  10. He will NEVER answer this, I hate to see you get worked up over it. Please stop. He relishes this type of behavior.

The only thing we may, and I repeat 'may' get from him is a year by year return over the 12 years he says he outperformed the market.

mr. market, please tell us your returns each of the 12 years. No $ amount, no spreadsheets, just your own typing. I'll believe whatever you tell me.

#100     Mar 4, 2004