Is 512 enough

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Glutton, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Glutton

Glutton

Bought a Dell - 2.53 Ghz with 512 RDRAM

New to XP and see there is no resource meter.

The salesman with Dell said 512 is more than enough. So far it is.

But I find myself opening up more charts and browser windows every day. Seem cheap enough to add but, is 512 enough? And how do I know...just keep pushing until it crashes? :confused:

Have 60 stocks in 5 different portfolios, 4 charts, 2 Level II, 3 web browsers open.

Thanks

G.

2. Hubert

Hubert

on type and what you are doing and how many Screens

3. 512 is

4. 512 is enough

5. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

nope, I have more and I fill the darn thing up all the time and have to clean up the temporary folder in the middle of the day. Pentium 4 as fast as it can go, 60gbhd and 1000+ memory is the best. Easy to add on after the fact if you find you need more.

6. Glutton

Glutton

Thanks for the replies.

If I do upgrade...is there a difference between DELL branded ($400) vs. cheaper Kingston or similar generic brands?

Also is there a difference b/n getting (2) 256 vs (1) 512 - other than taking up two slots?

It's actually cheaper to buy (2) 256

Thanks

G.

7. gnome

gnome

512 probably is enough, but try the following:

1. Set your page memory to 2X your ram... 1024.
    2. When running your "full load", check Task Manager/Performance (ctrl+alt+del) to see how much of your memory resources are being used. If you're maxing out, you could use more. If not, more would go unused. :D

8. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

I found the cheaper brands work just fine for memory. Go with them if you need more space.

9. you fill up over a GIG of memory?? kathy i find that hard to believe. that's a lot of resource hungry apps you're running, check what's running in the background

10. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

I run music all day, and a live chat.....maybe that is what fills it up? I also download a lot of pictures for artwork programs. That also is a big user of memory. I should save more to disk.

#10     Nov 13, 2002