is 128 kbs enough?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pafcioo, Mar 15, 2001.

1. pafcioo

pafcioo

Hi everybody!

I'd like to install an LMDS ( Local Multipoint Distribution System ) 128 kbs internet connection. I'd like to watch in real time about 15 stocks and track 5 to 8 charts. As my quote data feed I consider to use Quicken or QuoteTracker (Datek).

Is 128 kbs connection enough for that kind of trading?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

pafcioo

2. easymon1

easymon1

Ask again later.

3. Sig

Sig

Just out of curiosity, where in the world can you still even purchase a connection that slow?

To answer you question, it all depends on how "real time" time needs to be for you. If you're just getting quotes for 15 stocks, the actual FIX data coming over is relatively small and 128 kbs is probably fine if you're just punting. No idea what kind of overhead QuoteTracker adds, why don't you put a data metering program on your computer, turn off all your other internet apps, and see what the results are?

4. d08

d08

Dead thread revival. This is from 2001. Even in 2001 128kbps was slow.

Cuddles and Zithiel89 like this.
  5. Sig

Sig

Doh!

6. Zithiel89

Zithiel89

Speak for yourself guys, many people in the world have seen absolutely nothing more than usual dial up modem of 33.6k, sometimes (and it was very good) at 56k and that's it basically. I got my first dial-up in like 2003 or so, borrowed 33.6k modem from friends in 2001;) Something like that. I have 128k at first in 2005/2006 and it was very solid for me on ADSL then jumping straight to Fiber 1mpbs, then slowly but surely to 100 mbps over like 5 years or so and from 2015 I am on 1 GBbs, so see for yourself;)

7. Doobs789

Doobs789

I think the “Flash Boys” used a 128 kbs connection.