Is 126 RAM to little?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by privateisland, Nov 30, 2003.

1. pspr

pspr

gnome, many people refer to the computer (case) as the CPU. I discovered this when I managed a computer store. Strange but it is common verbage for the layman.

Actually, (for others reading this post), the CPU (Central Processing Unit) is just a single processor chip in the computer. It's about 3"x3" or larger and is clamped in a special socket on the motherboard.

#11     Nov 30, 2003
  2. gnome

gnome

Yeah, I knew that. But he probably doesn't need a new CPU (or box), and the ram and [if] burned-out fan issues are as simple as pluggin in a lamp as long as he doesn't get the wrong parts. He should try those first before incurring the expense of taking it into the shop. To test the fan, he could pull the fan from another box and plug it into the faulty one. If the fan turns, you know where the problem is. (BTW... nobody has yet mentioned the possibility that the fan's power connector the the MB is just LOOSE!)

#12     Nov 30, 2003
  3. Banjo

Banjo

#13     Nov 30, 2003
  4. pspr

pspr

No, I'm sure he doesn't need anything more than a fan and some RAM.

But, the labor charge for installing ram and a CPU fan should be less than $50 and it is worth it if one isn't experienced/knowlegable about replacing these things. It beats ruining a $300 CPU or $200 motherboard or $50 memory DRAM's because anti-static proceedures weren't followed or something was forced.

Island, either way, just make sure you find your motherboard manual which will tell you what type of RAM memory you can use. Only you know if you are comfortable putting these things in yourself or taking it in to the computer shop.

#14     Nov 30, 2003
  5. gnome

gnome

No offense intended, but you seem to be especially conscious of static. I've read that systems are pretty forgiving about that nowdays, and I do ground myself before opening the case. Other than that, likely no greater precautions are really necessary. (I wouldn't scrape my rubber soled boots across the carpet and then touch the computer, but I've even done that by accident with no ill effects.)

#15     Nov 30, 2003
  6. 1 GB here.....

recently upgraded from 512 MB and glad i did it.:cool:

#16     Nov 30, 2003
  7. gnome

gnome

WTG GG... We are all damned glad for you!! :D

#17     Nov 30, 2003
  8. pspr

pspr

gnome, I've seen static ruin many a computer component because someone decided to carry a CPU, hard drive or motherboard across the room without putting it in the anti-static bag. Usually the first few charges just make the component function slower or irratically but eventually one will cause the component to totally fail. And these aren't static charges you see when you rub your feet on the carpet and zap someone with your finger. These are small charges that you don't even notice or feel. This damage occurs quite often outside the shop (and even in the shop)

Small static discharges to the case are harmless if it is grounded. The charge just goes out the house ground wire. But if you did the same by touching the motherboard or other component in the computer there would most like be damage to that component.

Here are some rules to be safe.

1.) Always have your computer plugged in with with power to the case (NOT turned on though) which will provide line ground to the case when opening it.

2.) Always use a wrist ground to case strap when working in the computer. (Or, if not, NEVER, shuffle your feet and don't' work while on carpet, and keep one hand on the case for ground.)

3.) Don't take parts out of the anti-static bag until you are ready to put that part in the computer.

4.) NEVER carry a component somewhere without first putting it back in the anti-static bag.

#18     Nov 30, 2003
  9. gnome

gnome

I'm sure you're correct about all that. But I've been inside my own rigs hundreds of times over 20 years and have never shocked anything into oblivion. (But I do have to admit to NEVER dragging my rubber soled boots across the carpet while holding a naked CPU in my fingertips without a grounded wrist strap.) :D

#19     Nov 30, 2003
  10. pspr

pspr

I'm glad you haven't experienced the dismay of frying an expensive component. Just try to be cautious about the static problem and you probably will never have to worry. :p

#20     Nov 30, 2003