Irresponsible

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ChkitOut, Sep 16, 2011.

1. rew

rew

That's the same Bloomberg who is happy with illegal immigrants taking 7 million American jobs.

#11     Sep 16, 2011
  2. Dumb question I know, but what is the cost of living in NYC and what is the minimum wage?

#12     Sep 17, 2011
  3. I'll offer up my observation like this.

Suppose a one bedroom apartment in the suburbs is about $900 a month. You need a car in the burbs to get to work, maybe $350 a month car payment, another $200 a month for gas, another $300 a month for auto insurance. Your min total is $1750 a month for transportation and a place to put your clothes.

In NYC you can probably get a studio apt (no bedroom) for about $2300 a month and then walk to work.

Even if you consider a wage premium (not enough to offset the housing expense) for a like job in the burbs vs the city you're going to be eating ramen noodles unless you a have a plan.

#13     Sep 17, 2011
  4. A serious debate needs to be had as to whether it is time to deport them back to Africa.

#14     Sep 17, 2011
  5. dcvtss

dcvtss

$300 a month for car insurance? Is that really how high it is in NYC area? I pay around $800 a year and I'm maxed out on liability coverage etc, and I don't live in the sticks either. Wow.

#15     Sep 17, 2011
  6. NYC is expensive. Owning a car in NYC is nuts.
    However, a job in the 'burbs doesn't pay the same as a job in the city. Never has, never will. So, you can overcome the housing expense if you have a decent job.
    I knew a guy who lived in Manhattan, was moving to Denver. He said he was finding it would be more expensive to live in Denver. I looked at him like he was nuts, and then he explained about having to get a car.
    I live in the 'burbs, and have commuted both ways. Commuting by car is way more expensive than mass transit. Insurance goes up as soon as you say you're using it for commuting. Gas and wear and tear do the rest. Anyplace in the NYC metro, tolls will also be an issue.

#16     Sep 17, 2011
  7. bone

bone

If we passed the President's jobs plan, this would not be an issue.

#17     Sep 17, 2011
  8. Nanook

Nanook

#18     Sep 17, 2011
  9. Hasn't he had a jobs plan for the past three years?

#19     Sep 18, 2011