Iron Condor When/how to adjust ?

Discussion in 'Options' started by grainmerchant, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Opra

Opra

Thanks very much, FT. It's very helpful. Good trading.

#21     Jun 5, 2007
  2. Prevail

Prevail Guest

when setting up dn's 1 sigma away there is about a 34 percent chance of the strike being hit. this translates to about 85 days a year. however, the hits tend to be clumped together in a year due to a steeper environment. if one can avoid these times they can do well.

#22     Jun 6, 2007
  3. FT79

FT79

Dear Prevail,

I really don't know what a a sigma is (sorry) but the important part of optiontrading (imho) is how you adjust/change your position. When selling strangles you don't want the underlying comes near the strikes because that will kill you. Everyday is a new day and if needed you should adjust your position. For me (option)trading is like chess, if they board changes I will check if I have to change my position.

PS. I don't play chess because there's no money involved :D

#23     Jun 6, 2007
  4. Whenever we trade we have to pay a spread / commission / clearing fees. Whenever we trade we lose edge, so my philosophy is to adjust (trade) only when the risk is absolutely no longer acceptable. I measure risk in terms of position delta and typically I’ll tolerate fairly large delta’s for the reasons given above.

However, when trading a limited risk/reward strategy (such as an IC) I would look at the position only from an expiry point of view and not adjust at all.

Also, if you’re running a combination of bullish AND bearish positions in different equity and index options then a VaR assessment is the way to go. Personally I risk 10% of my trading capital each day with 95% confidence. In other words, I expect to be down 10% of my trading capital once every 20 days. I also expect to be up 10% once every 20 days.

As with most aspects of option trading, the above is not necessarily right or wrong, just my way of operating.

#24     Jun 6, 2007
  5. Prevail

Prevail Guest

that's fine if costs are not prohibitive and mean reversion does not take you out back.

#25     Jun 6, 2007
  6. sigma is another term for standard deviation. 1 sigma is thus 1 sd (68% probability), 2 sigma is 2 sd's (95% probability). It is one of the inputs option pricing models use to arrive at their outputs.
    db

#26     Jun 7, 2007
  7. Unfortunately they only support a closed proprietary format.

#27     Jun 7, 2007
  8. 1 standard div. of the spx@1500 is 68%or 1020?
    over what period?
    sorry for my ignorance
    john

#28     Jun 7, 2007
  9. 68% is the probability of the market being within 1 standard deviation by a defined time period.

The standard deviation is a statisitical calculation. Implied volatility is one standard deviation implied through the option prices expressed as a percentage of the price (volatility.).

#29     Jun 7, 2007

10. Thanks coach
    john

#30     Jun 7, 2007