iron cockroach

Discussion in 'Options' started by daddy'sboy, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Was that when you charged a $50 ticket fee + $1 per contract?

#31     Jul 26, 2007
  2. quite right, more a condor

#32     Jul 27, 2007

3. I don't follow. It in no way resembles a condor. A synthetic long at x, and a synthetic short at y. It's a box. The PnL is governed by the initial execution and the path of LIBOR.

There is no delta, gamma, theta or vega sensitivity [practically-speaking]. It's a rate-arb or a method of earning [nearly] the risk-free rate on funds that would be earning less than LIBOR when idle.

Another slant -- the box is the arbitrage which maintains the equivalence of same-strike call and put verticals.

#33     Jul 27, 2007
  4. : confused : You're legging into synthetic spot positions at edge? Or perhaps buying the put[call] vertical in the hopes of buying the call[put] vertical cheaper? If so, why lock the position in an arbitrage with zero opportunity? It offers no benefit. "Vol is high" has no meaning when trading boxes.

#34     Jul 27, 2007
  5. atticus you are much smarter than this. . . and again taking something posted at the O boards seriously that was posted obviously in jest. You guys need to lighten up. Finally, this is an option only trade, short verticals on both sides & there are no shared strikes . . . whatever else people want to call it.

#35     Jul 27, 2007
  6. so it is not an iron butterfly simply an iron condor with one wing span longer than the other.

#36     Jul 27, 2007
  7. Give the man a cigar!

At the risk of sounding flip, it pays to remember that there are really only two things you can do with options buy 'em & sell 'em & no matter what fancy names are given to any combination of doing so, there is nothing new in the options world - the beauty is always, always in the management.

#37     Jul 27, 2007
  8. Smarter than what? You're assuming I've read the Optionetics' posts? The box was the only position posted to this thread.

#38     Jul 27, 2007
  9. Smarter than seeing it for what it was yet not coming to the logical conclussion.

No I assumed that you read this entire thread where Eliot came back with his own realisation from reading the O thread that it was indeed a send up. Other than that I know from usual contrib's here that you know enough about options to recognise that such a thing would only be posted in jest - you know, one of those threads where someone is fishing for the 'holy grail of risk free options strategies' & some clever dick decides to go shooting. . .it's not like that is a foreign occurence over here. :D

Anyway, db has his answer now & the educational value of this thread (!!!) is exhausted I reckon.

#39     Jul 27, 2007
  10. It begs the question, why would you continue to discuss the trade w/o outlining it here? Is this an Optionetics' thread?

I did read Eliot's response. Stating it's a joke thread really isn't telling.

Further, the Optionetics' "traders" [and some here] believe a collar is superior to a vertical. So no, I don't assume the barrier to entry is met on either board.

#40     Jul 27, 2007