IRC or other chat rooms

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by scot.mcpherson, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Triple leveraged ETFs have some subtleties that aren't obvious. For one, there's a time decay aspect. I won't pretend to understand this, I'm just pointing something out.

There's another thread around here somewhere where the OP claimed that going short both FAS and FAZ is a no-risk money machine. This of course can't be true, but it goes to show that there's more that meets the eye.

#11     Apr 12, 2009
  2. slacker

slacker

My IRC setup is

OtherNet: #newsroom
    #enthios

FinancialChat
    #Headlines
    #ActiveTrader
    #forex
    #indexFutures

Channels are selected by the number of people logged in more than by subject.

I do not trade the news but the combination of OtherNet newsroom and FinancialChat Headlines seems to be very broad and useful.

If something 'just happened' someone on one of these rooms has more news very quickly.

I use XChat with tabs for the rooms running on ubuntu.

Good trading...

#12     Apr 12, 2009
  3. Hey thanks for the xchat tip. Very nice.

#13     Apr 12, 2009
  4. slacker

slacker

Good luck,

I have tried most of the IRC apps and like xChat because:

1. Runs on windows and Linux

2. Fully scriptable and configurable

3. Buttons highlight when new message have been received in that channel so I can monitor a number of channels easily.

4. Auto-login works when the connection is lost.

5. I can leave it on 24/7 and logs are saved for days without problems.

6. Can monitor multiple servers at the same time (OtherNet + FinancialChat).

Any other recommendations for a IRC chat?

mIRC is better when used with MicrosoftAgent Text-to-Speech to read messages - but became noisy after a while.

Good luck,

#14     Apr 12, 2009

5. I am the OP and I can assure you, I never made any such claim.

Yes there are some subtleties as you have states. For instance FAZ wasn't very good to me the last few weeks. Even though the market was trending downward, so was the FAZ. Yes the short term action was consistent, and the dips int he market caused spikes in FAZ, but it wasn't a perfect corollary. FAZ still trended down along with the market, so I burned a few bucks with that here and there. However, if I had held onto FAZ at the price I got it at last week, and let it ride until it was back up to 18.70-75ish on wednesday, I would have had major significant gain and would have had a LOT more money to bet on FAS when it bounced on the floor on wednesday, and if I held on to that until late thursday I would have more than doubled my money in two trades, alas as I said I chickened out and only made 30% for the period. That's ok, locked in profits are always good, even if things "could have" been better.

#15     Apr 12, 2009
  6. pt199

pt199

If you want to "talk" to people then you should try "Paltalk".
    A bunch of rooms on paltalk are set up where you can use a mic and chat with others. Just set up an account and log into business and finance and then to daytrade...

Also theres a good channel on mIRC called #tradingspace for futures both US and German, Hope this helps

#16     Apr 12, 2009
  7. Surdo

Surdo

The Gubmint has you trained well!

:D

#17     Apr 12, 2009
  8. Which server do you find #tradingspace on?

#18     Apr 12, 2009
  9. mtt

mtt

Like slacker said, these are good for equities or futures:

#activetrader (FinancialChat) - 600+ people
    #newsroom (Othernet) - good for news

In addition to this, you can also use these for equities or futures:

http://www.daytradingradio.com - 500+ people, good mix of trading, entertainment, and education. IRC avail for members. Check regularly around trading hours and at 10 PM ET for online events.

Free restricted access at:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/daytraderrockstar-show

#daytraders (Othernet) used to be very popular in the past. I prefer #activetrader more.

There are also some paid services out there.

#19     Apr 12, 2009
  10. pt199

pt199

Which server do you find #tradingspace on?

It is found on "othernet"

#20     Apr 13, 2009