Iraq isn't Bush's only mess

Discussion in 'Politics' started by BloodTrader, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Demonstrate illegal actions on my part.

Demonstrate benefit to me.

If others choose to disobey laws that I disagree with, more power to them.

I have zero truck with those who violate anti-libertarian laws such as those prohibiting gambling, drug use, prostitution, taxes, flag burning, immigration or guns.

#41     Feb 23, 2007
  2. There is racism in the anti-immigrant crowd for sure. But there is also a large goup of working Americans that illegal immigration hurts and that has nothing to do with racism. I don't thinik there would be the minimum wage argument if the illegals were sent back home. In construction, farming, house keeping and others wages are lower because of illegal workers.
    What is ironic about the republican and democrat stance is that it's bass ackwards. The democrats should be against illegal workers because it hurts the working man and the republicans should be for the illegal workers because it helps the corporations and keeps labor inflation down. Crazy

#42     Feb 23, 2007
  3. Thank's for sharing your observances. Do you see evidence of African-American's, either those displaced to Texas or those remaining in New Orleans, being snubbed in their job search by the emergence of Mexican laborers? Or is it a case of Blacks being either unskilled or unwilling to perform the difficult tasks?

Is their "backlash" or resentment towards the immigrants?

#43     Feb 23, 2007
  4. Your right it's not the customers responsibility to police the contractors. It is the federal government's responsibility though. Fine the contractors who hire illegals. Fine the city if they give a permit to a contractor who is caught twice hiring illegals. The city will stop issuing permits to the contractors who don't follow the law and the contractors will stop hiring illegal workers or go bankrupt. Then when the prices get up there where they should be you'll be swarmed with legal competent American contractors. The insurance companies know about the illegal workers and endorse it (privately). They are one of the main beneficiaries of illegal labor. There are millions of roofs installed each year and the illegal workers are saving the insurance companies billions of dollars in roofing alone. Follow the money if you want to know why the illegal workers are here.

#44     Feb 23, 2007
  5. Anyone willing to work now can find work in the New Orleans area... from medical doctors to busboys at restaurants. It is slightly over generalization, but I think you get the picture. Generally, even for min. wage jobs like those at fast food joints, the wages are higher than the minimum wage. McD's in my neighborhood was advertising $10/hr!

Yes, there is some resentment against the latino workers, but that is mostly due to ignorance, not because they are taking away work from someone. Truthfully, the work ethics of the New Orleanians were not great to begin with... the Big Easy wouldn't be called that otherwise.

The bums are still bummed out, but the hard working folks are getting their lives together. I think the latino workers are providing a very valuable service here. Maybe in the bigger economic picture they are damaging the pay rates, but for people who need to move in to their homes right away because FEMA hasnt supplied them a trailer yet, these latino workers are a blessing.

#45     Feb 23, 2007
  6. Really nice thoughts TM. It's cool to get a front line report......

#46     Feb 23, 2007
  7. You're a funny guy. I think you were born in the wrong era, your mind is stuck in feudalism and monarchy.

Go buy yourself a prison, it's the closest you can get to slave labor in this country.

#47     Feb 24, 2007
  8. The country is dependent on them. It's the only way to deal with the commodity inflation. Restaurants & contractors would fold if they had to pay real wages, liability, payroll taxes & benefits.

#48     Feb 24, 2007
  9. We're paying for inflation control with the close to slave labor wages of the lower working class American citizens. The country will do just fine with out the illegal workers. An American worker could again make enough to feed and house his family and save some money finally. The load on the social health and welfare system would be relieved greatly. The tax roles would also be helped, unlike the illegal workers the legal ones will have withholding taxes and pay into SS. And the legal workers won't be sending billions of untaxed dollars south of the border. It isn't a one way argument. There are benefits to the economy using the illegal workers but there are also huge costs.

#49     Feb 24, 2007
  10. My story is an example of what happens to many small family owned business`s every day. It proves that the death tax puts an undue burden on the inheritors.

Sheesh, I would agree with you 100% repeal the income tax and tax me until i`m filled with formaldehyde post mortem. But thats not the case right now.

http://www.policyandtaxationgroup.com/html/stories.html#stories

#50     Feb 25, 2007