Iraq and Interactive Brokers

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by hayder, Jun 12, 2008.

1. That's pretty stupid to answer someone you are going to have a trusting business relationship with in such an aggressive manner. No wonder they would prefer not doing business with you.

IB already has some vetting for avoiding complete newbies that would swamp their support system and give them heaps of trouble learning the ropes. That's sound business practice right there. Avoiding doing business with someone who acts in a complete irrational and obnoxious way is another sound business practice.

Good job, IB! Them avoiding the freaks make me even more confident I have chosen a really good broker that will stay around ...

#51     Jun 15, 2008
  2. Kind of sounds like the South in the 50's. You have your own water fountians, you ave your own schools, you have your own entrance in our restruants. so you have your own choices, if you dont like it too bad. your diffret thenus but equal

#52     Jun 15, 2008
  3. I can understand how these questions can feel intrusive since answering yes to all these questions should not stop you from opening an account. at the worse it should subject you to follow up questions. its an annoyance and they are just doing there job. its like asking you the dumb questions at the airport. "have you packed your own bags" did anyone give you anything to bring with you" ect ect. any good terrorist can breeze past these questions

yes i hold an Iraqi passport.
    yes i have Iraqi citizenship
    yes i have business dealings in iraq.
    yes i have accounts in iraq (come on many people on this board speculate on iraqi money
    yes one day i would like to settle back in iraq.

#53     Jun 15, 2008
  4. sim03

sim03

You are not from the US, are you... as any perennially wasted college kid will tell you, the minimum age in the land of the free to buy or be served alcohol is 21, not 18.

We now return to our regularly scheduled random IB rant of the day.

#54     Jun 15, 2008
  5. newtoet

newtoet

Not necessarily before '84 (that was when Regan signed the National Minimum Drinking Age Act). So depending on when the poster's story took place, 18 is entirely feasible.

#55     Jun 15, 2008
  6. I would like to know which state allowed anyone to drink before the age of 21 before the year of 1984. I don't know of any.

#56     Jun 16, 2008
  7. Iin New Orleans as late as 1995 or so the drinking age was 18 though I am not sure when they first started that. The Federal Government does not set the drinking age. It is a State Law issue however the Federal Gov't tied highway funds to states who adopted the 21 year old drinking minimum age so all states complied accept Lousiana for quote some time. when I was in New Orleans, the State finally accepted the 21 year old age limit to get highway finding finally. So actually as recent as 13 years ago the drinking age was 18 in New Orleans and in other parts of the State.

However the issue has gotton murky with different court cases.

"Prior to a 1984 Federal law linking highway funding to the 21 year drinking age (later upheld by a 1987 Supreme Court ruling) each state set it's own drinking age."

"But then last week [1996], the Louisiana Supreme Court ruled that the state's drinking age of 21 is a form of age discrimination, and tossed out the 1995 law as well as the 1986 law that barred those under 21 from buying alcohol. Louisiana has become the only state in the nation with a drinking age of 18."

#57     Jun 16, 2008
  8. A. The Drinking Age has not been under 21 in many years.

B. A U.S. passport is not accepted by bartenders because the Alcoholic Beverage Commission (ABC) doesn't accept such a document as proof of one's age. It's a State issue.

#58     Jun 17, 2008
  9. It's REAGAN.
    Not Regan.

#59     Jun 17, 2008
  10. Hawaii and Colorado for two examples. i drank in both soon after turning 18 in 1980. There were others as well, about ten in all i believe.

there is no minimum drinking age in Wisconsin to this day from what a friend from there tells me. You have to be accompanied by a parent to the bar though. She says her dad would take her brother to bars after hunting trips starting at 12 yrs old!

And they wonder why they have a drinking problem ther.

#60     Jun 17, 2008