Iran's Leader Writes to President Bush (after 27 years)

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Nana Trader, May 8, 2006.

1. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060508/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iran_us

I know it's in current iranian regime foreign policy not to bow to American demand, then why they send such letter?

I guess they know this cowboy bush will turn down any diplomatic solutions, so they can prove to the world that US Gov was after war only

2. Iran leader offers Bush 'new ways out'
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/05/08/iran.letter/index.html

In the letter -- believed to be the first from an Iranian leader to an American president in 27 years -- Ahmadinejad proposes "new ways for exiting from the current critical situation," Gholam-Hossein Elham said Monday.

Elham, quoted by the state-run television and radio network IRIB, said Ahmadinejad had "analyzed the current international condition and has pointed out the way to find the root causes."

The letter -- which does not directly mention the contentious issue of Iran's nuclear ambitions -- was sent to Bush through the Swiss Embassy in Tehran, Elham said.

Aneesh Raman, CNN's correspondent in Tehran, said the letter is expected to arrive at the White House on Monday.

"The specifics of the letter will not be made public until Bush receives the letter," Raman said.

The key question is whether the letter will lead to any "direct talks" between Iran and the United States, he added.

According to the state-run news agency IRNA, Ahmadinejad told reporters he had decided to send letters to leaders of certain countries on the occasion of "Year of Great Prophet Mohammad."

It is believed to be the first correspondence between the presidents of Iran and the United States since 1980, when Washington broke off ties with Tehran over the hostage crisis.

The announcement came just ahead of a meeting of the five permanent members of the U.N. Security Council in New York.

Delegates will discuss a draft resolution on Iran that was introduced last week by the United States, France and Britain.

The draft resolution, drawn up under Chapter 7 of the U.N. Charter, demands Tehran give up its production of nuclear fuel or face penalties that could include economic sanctions.

Russia and China, the other two permanent members of the Security Council, have said they oppose sanctions.

The draft calls on Iran to act "without further delay" to reassure the U.N.'s nuclear watchdog agency, the International Atomic Energy Agency, about the intent of its nuclear work, suspend the production of enriched uranium and halt construction of a heavy-water reactor.

Enriched uranium can be used to fuel power plants or, in much higher concentrations, to produce a nuclear explosion, while heavy-water reactors can be used to produce plutonium -- another element that can be used to produce a nuclear blast.

The draft leaves blank any time period for Iran to comply.

Meanwhile, British Prime Minister Tony Blair said Monday that any consideration of a nuclear attack against Iran would be "absolutely absurd," The Associated Press reported.

"I don't know anybody who is even talked or contemplated the prospect of a nuclear strike in Iran and that would be absolutely absurd," Blair said at his monthly news conference.

3. nassau

nassau

the letter is just a ploy while iran continues with the bomb and its goal re Israel, USA and whomever is on their list..

if indeed the letter exists and is from the president?

w

4. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

whats the point?

bush wants to bomb iran - so he WILL bomb iran - because he is a 2 bit moron.

i will bet $20,000 with ANYONE HERE that within 3 years, usa will have attacked iran.

how do i know?

well, im only 90% sure, but thats good nuff for me.....

jack straw (the uk's foreign secretary & condy rices boyfriend when shes in port :D) has just been sacked by tony blair. tony blair sacked him because he was openly against bombing iran. this bit is now official in all the quality papers here in the uk.

tony blair does whatever bush tells him to, and so i guess bush has already given the wink and the nod.

you heard it here first.

5. You have got to be kidding me....how about 5:1 since your information suggests a 90% trade!

Israel will take out their nuclear facilities...not the US.

6. I don't see anything happening before the elections. The US bombing Iran will lose the Republicans the elections and likely lead to impeachment hearings as the Dems take control.

Since the Iranians are years away by anybody's estimate I don't see the Israeli's making their lives more difficult right now. They've got enough problems on their plate as is.

Just my $.02.

7. Because the Russians told him to send it. It's all bullshit. They think they understand us because they actually believe what they see on network news.

John

8. So why didnt these yahoos just make a bomb like south africa, india, pakistan, north korea, israel, in secret,,how do they profit from revealing there intentions, or was it pride?