Iranian Militay is no joke!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by bat1, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Just to maybe get things back on topic, the iranian military, (as opposed to miltay) is no joke, it is a well organised army, with surprisingly good hardware and organisation, given iran's geopolitical situation, as not just a giant buffer state between more hardline islamic states, and more secular ones.

That being said, Turkey, on a military basis (rather than militay) would kick their ass, and the iranians know it.

Turkey is pushing for, or has EU membership? Iran, well.......

I'm not suggesting eu membership is everything, it isn't, but india and pakistan, on a sheer trade relation basis, need to know they wont be sold short in eu dealings, its a big business.
    Ask any albanian, its a fact.

#151     Jul 17, 2008
  2. Turkey is nothing compared to Israel and the US (who has allot of troops in the area). And are they even involved somehow? Have I missed something?

Turkey is not EU-member yet btw. Nicolas Sarkozy amongst other are keeping them out, at least for now.

Anyways, I don't think they can play any larger part than any other country in terms of military. If the US or Israel decides to attack, it will probably only be air-fights which the US and Israel has got covered by far. If they decide to invade the country, Turkey might help, but they'll probably get as much problems as other invaders. The big problem with Iran is their huge numbers of paramilitary troops: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_number_of_total_troops

When 11 million+ angry Iranians are hiding behind every corner, waiting, ready to kill you, fighting on the ground gets painstaking no matter who you bring.

#152     Jul 17, 2008
  3. Absolutely, air superiority means little unless you're going to kill them all. It would make zero sense for anyone to try to invade Iran. Taking air superiority wouldn't mean much unless you were trying to subdue them like Iraq was for some time, but in the end - it amounts to little.

Learning to live together or getting it all out of their system is the way to go ...
    :D

#153     Jul 17, 2008