Iran Vs. Israel

Discussion in 'Politics' started by tradingjournals, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Close to the biggest oil reserves on the planet. You don't think that's leverage?

#21     Aug 10, 2012
  2. Ricter

Ricter

Of course we'll prop up any semi-friendly population that is close to those reserves. It appears we're even willing to let a nation go Al Qaeda on us, if they'll cooperate on oil.

#22     Aug 10, 2012
  3. You're just figuring this out now?

#23     Aug 10, 2012
  4. Ricter

Ricter

Nope.

The important thing to remember is that Israel is getting the handouts not because they're so clever, but because they serve our purpose.

By the way, all those Nobels prove that government subsidized R&D pays off. :D

#24     Aug 10, 2012
  5. It's not just about geography. The Israelis serve our pupose because they're very smart and able to take advange of the geography in a way that others can't. If you haven't been there, I'd advise you to do so if you really want to understand the Middle East situation

Regarding government subsidized R&D, I have no problem with it as long as it's "basic research" that private capital won't support. What I have a problem with is a company like Solyndra that got turned down by private capital because they had a lousy business plan, then the government stepped in and flushed taxpayers money down the drain.

I thought the JPL landing on mars was spectacular. But private enterprise should step in as soon as there's a viable business model just as NASA's doing with SpaceX.

#25     Aug 10, 2012
  6. Ricter

Ricter

I haven't been to Israel, but a lot of their kids come here to work in the shopping malls. I never would have guessed, but they make more money working a retail store in Canada than they can back home. I find that odd.

Agree with you on your government funding of R&D comments.

#26     Aug 10, 2012