Iran Threatens To Take Action If US Carrier Returns

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Jan 3, 2012.

1. rew

rew

Iran wants to sell their oil. It is the United States that is imposing sanctions designed to prevent other countries from buying Iranian oil. So if anybody is causing the price of oil to spike it's us.

#51     Jan 4, 2012
  2. I don't want Iran to have nuclear weapons and people like you will call me a neocon and Zionist because of that and especially because I support Israel. But you know what? That labeling fails because I'd support ANY Islamic nation just as much if they were as friendly to the United States. And don't tell me they're not because of our policies because all of the failed "multiculturalism" examples involved Muslims not Jews so it ain't working across the pond either.

Don't want to start a war with Iran and never said I think the second Iraq war was a good idea. I do think the biggest consequences of it are our loss of credibility and running the military into the ground. Don't like how we mishandled Afghanistan either. But that doesn't mean we should pretend the situation in Iran's the same and deal with it in the exact same way.

I subscribe to the Powell Doctrine and believe it would have kept us out of trouble and will keep us out of trouble if only we apply it. Would be interested in what you think:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powell_Doctrine

Have never heard Ron Paul say anything about when we should go to war except "follow the Constitution." Of course we should follow the Constitution but I think a framework is necessary and believe even he would vote for any military action meeting its (the Powell Doctrine's) tests. Do you disagree?

#52     Jan 4, 2012
  3. I think you hate Islam because it's a religion of peace and are a Zionist shill neocon warmonger trying to obfuscate your real intentions with this nonsense which are for us to fight Israel's wars :mad:

#53     Jan 4, 2012
  4. rew

rew

The Powell doctrine is a vast improvement over the Bush doctrine, which seemed to be, "Start a war with Iraq because we can." Of course there is going to be disagreement over what is and is not a threat to our vital national security interest. I would certainly prefer that Iran does not develop nuclear weapons. But I think that demonizing Iran and threatening to bomb them is exactly the wrong way to convince them that they don't need nuclear weapons. And if Iran does develop nuclear weapons, it's not the end of the world. They know that both we and Israel can retaliate in kind if they're dumb enough to nuke us. If it wasn't worth bombing Russia or China to stop them from having nukes its hard to see why its important to bomb Iran, when they're are much smaller threat.

I am sure that if congress declares a war (which they haven't done since World War II) then Ron Paul would carry out that war with the intent of winning it as quickly as possible.

#54     Jan 4, 2012
  5. The Iranians detonating a nuclear weapon in NYC or Tel Aviv wouldn't be the end of the world. But no matter how massive the retaliation, it wouldn't undo the damage.

It's a mistake to assume rationality, especially from Iran.

Yet, after each of our wars, there has always been a great hue and cry to the effect that there will be no more wars, that disarmament is the sure road to health, happiness, and peace; and that by removing the fire department, we will remove fires. These ideas spring from wishful thinking and from the erroneous belief that wars result from logical processes. There is no logic in wars. Madmen produce them.
    -- General George S. Patton

Yeah but Ron Paul voted to authorize the use of military force in Afghanistan.

#55     Jan 5, 2012
  6. Lucrum

Lucrum

I wonder if they'd consider location suggestions...like maybe Washington D.C.?
    THAT would actually be beneficial to us.

#56     Jan 5, 2012
  7. Hadn't thought of that, I may need to reconsider my objection :p

#57     Jan 5, 2012
  8. Ricter

Ricter

AAAinthebeltway lives there, right?

#58     Jan 5, 2012
  9. I think so. I'm back to my original position. That was quick.

Now you can hassle me about being a "flip-flopper." :p

#59     Jan 5, 2012
  10. rew

rew

Yes, Ron Paul did vote to go after Al Qaeda. And if George W. Bush had kept his eye on the prize rather than get distracted by Iraq, he could have nailed Bin Laden years before Obama did.

As for the argument that the Iranians are madmen who are willing to see their own country destroyed just to nuke The Great Satan, I'm not buying it. Anytime somebody wants to start a war they call the leaders of the country they want to attack crazy and madmen. The truth is that you don't get high up in a country's political establishment without having a strong survival instinct. Ahmadinijad has some extreme ideas but he's not suicidal.

#60     Jan 5, 2012