Ira

Discussion in 'Trading' started by rcarlton88, Dec 17, 2007.

1. You can EASILY trade futures in an IRA, including shorting them.

Futures are just awesome.

:D

#11     Dec 18, 2007
  2. Nope, not what I meant.

Meant trading (and profiting hopefully) in the roth. Unleveraged there.

Once you profit, take distributions from the roth as a tax-free loan, put into trading account, continue, leverage if you wish, and pay back the loan from additional trading profits (so easy to write it, isn't it?). Once 59.5,take tax-free distributions from the roth.

Would be nice if you could take tax free distributions from the roth before, but not sure how to do that. Perhaps works better in a regular IRA?

#12     Dec 18, 2007
  3. piezoe

piezoe

Hmm, I don't think you can put the money back, once you have no "earned income" or after you have already made the max. contribution, if you do have earned income. If you haven't made the max contribution, and you have earned income, and you are over 59&1/2, and you have had the account for 5 years or more, then i think you could withdraw and then contribute back up to your maximum, but we have already exceeded my level of competence with regard to IRA's. The question i don't have the answer to is:wtf:nce you have started to withdraw, after age 59 and 1/2 does that terminate your right to contribute, even if you do have earned income? I'm getting a headache!

#13     Dec 18, 2007
  4. piezoe

piezoe

Shorting them?? That absolutely astounds me, WHO IS YOUR BROKER? I want to open an account there! Does being able to short them require that you be flat at the end of the trading day?

#14     Dec 18, 2007
  5. I suggest you contact some futures brokers and ask if they allow trading in IRA's. Most do, you will just need to add an IRA custodian into the mix.

I use Open ECry.

#15     Dec 18, 2007
  6. piezoe

piezoe

Trading in an IRA, yes. Of course. I do that now. But leveraged trades?? And shorting?? I'm still astounded. I'll call Ecry and ask. I think that violates Federal rules, but perhaps if you are always flat at the end of the day it is possible. Shorting, really!! That is a position with undefined risk.

#16     Dec 19, 2007