IRA Accounts

Discussion in 'Financial Futures' started by Ebo, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Ebo

Ebo

Is there any way to trade E minis in an IRA account?
    I assume it is not feasible since you can not trade on Margin and can only fund an account $3000 a year. Is there any way around this?

2. nonam

nonam

But I think interactive brokers allow it.Looks like it should be possible without margin.

3. nkhoi

nkhoi

transfer more from your 401k to your IRA should do it.

4. Ebo

Ebo

Assuming I have $100K in my IRA ROLLOVER now.
    Can I trade in that acount with the same Margin as a "Regular" Futures account?

5. nkhoi

nkhoi

no margin allow in IRA account but by trading futures you are using margin by default.

6. Ebo

Ebo

I understand the concept of margin.
    I realize you are not able to Margin Equities in an IRA.
    Will a broker allow you to trade E minis with the same "Performance Bond minimums" as a regular account?

7. Wrong answer.

Futures require a performance bond and nothing prohibits trading them in an IRA. You can trade futures in an IRA with any number of companies.

I currently trade E-minis and other futures in an IRA w/ IB but wouldn't recommend them yet as their product is still undeveloped =looks more like a Beta test.

You can trade ES options but not YM. You cannot trade option spreads but you can through other brokers like OptionsXpress. IB also doesn't allow holding foreign currencies though you can through a Self-Directed IRA.

Another alternative is to go with a 'Self-Directed IRA' which offers much more flexibility. This type of IRA is more expensive to maintain but you can trade it like (almost) any other futures account through any number of brokers.

8. Ebo

Ebo

Thanks Horse!
    I just need a way, other than RYDEX funds to be net SHORT in my IRA since I can not sell ETFs. I will speak to both my futures Brokers.

9. I have an IRA account with I.B. It allows you trade futures.

Margin in futures' trading has a different meaning from the one in equity trading. In equity, it means your broker lends you money. Obviously this is not allowed in an IRA account. In futures trading, margin means good faith money. It's your money. Your broker doesn't lend you any thing. That's why you can trade futures in an IRA account.

10. the IRS would not allow active trading in IRA accts

or is that allowed as long as its not main source of income?

Also active traders cannot contribute to IRA's ?

#10     Mar 27, 2004