IQFeed data vs other data providers

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by I$land, Jan 10, 2007.

1. I've had success in the past with 1600 symbols using QCharts/QLink but since eSignal is taking over that outfit, it's no longer an option. They're going to put a symbol limit of 200-500 per user. *ssholes.

#21     Feb 26, 2007
  2. Does e-signal have Excel real time?

#22     Feb 26, 2007
  3. mokwit

mokwit

..............also it will stop working properly.

#23     Feb 26, 2007
  4. Jay,

Here's an idea for you guys to work on...say I need 10 days of 30 min data for a symbol.

That' OHLC (4 data points) *13*10=520 data points total.

But the way your servers are set up to access historical minute data, I end up requesting 4*390Min*10 days=15600 data points for each symbol. That's 30 times more data than I need and a huge unnecessary waste of bandwidth, causing crashes if someone downloads too many symbols.

Why can't your server build the data the way a user requests it? This would certainly free up resources and provide added value.

Jay, if all someone wants is quotes, there are a lot of places to get them cheap. The profit for you guys is on what added value can you and your team provide.

The same thing can be said for scanners. Why can't dtnIQ have a solid scanning product? Why rely on others like trade-ideas?

Why not ask your users/customers how THEY are using the data and investigate if YOU could do it for them and charge more for it then? That's added value!

Why rely on outside vendors like QuoteIn or XLQ to be unnecessary middlemen with additional programs to crash users' computers and not even provide a solid seamless data product???

Look at a successful broker like IB and how fast they are to integrate user's requests for changes to their program. They even have a user poll to see what people *really* want/need and deliver accordingly. You can't stay stuck in the business of delivering exchange data only.

Don't get me wrong...I do like dtnIQ/IQFeed.

But many people want more yet not more eSignal garbage! Many people are yearning for a serious data program/vendor that really delivers.

Thanks for listening!

#24     Feb 26, 2007
  5. I'm not sure I understand the issue--I use IQFeed and request 30 minute bars as 30 minute bars. Their system is actually quite flexible in this respect--if you want 37 minute bars, it will only return you that.

I've not looked at DDE, so maybe this is the issue, but accessing odd increment data works great with the TCP/IP connection.

#25     Feb 26, 2007
  6. iqfeed

iqfeed DTN

We do it as you request already (except we also return Volume in the record). I'm not sure what software you interface us with, but we support (x)Minute requests, build the data into that interval on the server, and return it to the client that way. If you want 109 minute bars, you will get bars that represent 109 minutes for each bar, we don't return 109 individual minute bars....

I listen to customers every day (My email, direct phone number and skype are listed publicly on our website). Our sales and support personnel immediately forward to me any and all feedback from customers/prospects.

I wish we could be everything to everybody, but we can't. We have a great market data workstation in ProphetX. It does 90% of what traders want and need and is significantly less expensive than comparable services (in many cases even less expensive than IQFeed with a 3rd party app). However, there are things it can't do, and for those users, we can provide a high quality datafeed into the software that does what they need. Trade-Ideas has put a lot of development into creating a great scanner. I suppose the same could be asked of them.. why don't they put resources into also providing a datafeed or charting?

Companies have core competencies, and it is better for our customers to focus on what they have come to us for... This doesn't mean we won't expand our product offering. We have development in the works to enhance our feed into Excel for example. However, it isn't a high priority since our customers are already being served well using IQFeed with a 3rd party application (QuoteIN or XLQ). Plus, 3rd party applications written to IQFeed are Partners to DTN and Myself. They send us people who are sick of broker feed issues. They like working with a company who answers their call on the first ring and works with them if there is an issue with their software reading our feed. I have no desire to take all of the functionality of their products and incorporate it into our own. That wouldn't be fair to our partners, and isn't how I conduct business.

I took absolutely no offense to your message. Again, I listen to customers all day. Some have complaints, others have praise. Every conversation or forum post is a learning experience, and it helps us to better serve current and prospective customers.

Hopefully you learned something about us as well (like the fact that we do provide minute data as you requested).

Jay Froscheiser
    DTN

#26     Feb 26, 2007
  7. onelot

onelot

Jay, the ohlc feeds you're speaking of are historical, right?

last time i checked, i don't remember their being a real-time ohlc feed on the api side. if you do offer that, that's great, will take a look at your service again. if you don't, would hope you would consider it for the future... it significantly reduces the client side load by not having to process every tick. right now, the only api-based data provider who offers this is esignal (maybe realtick, but $$) and i'm just waiting for an excuse to leave them.

#27     Feb 26, 2007
  8. iqfeed

iqfeed DTN

Yes, it is for historical data only. We have on our project list the push of minute bars to the client, but as of yet it hasn't been assigned a priority. Once we clear the plate with our next server release currently scheduled for April, we will begin to evaluate the projects. I think this, along with more efficient processing of snapshot data will be pretty high on the list as we do receive quite a few people who don't want to (or can't) process a streaming feed.

Jay

#28     Feb 27, 2007
  9. Just wanted to update everybody on my experience with dtnIQFEED lately regarding problems with spikes in the data. This problem appears to have been resolved and I'm getting excellent data once again from dtn/IQFeed.

My only complaint at this time with regards to receiving their data through DDE is that when initializing the data in the morning, 1/2 the time I'm getting 0's instead of the last quote. Hopefully someone from dtn will read this and work on a fix.

#29     May 1, 2007
  10. DTN IQFeed is good for USA markets and the 'popular' international markets like EUREX. But they completely lack any desire to expand their international exchanges offered. Jay posted on the DTN forum IQFeed wishlist that they would be bringing more international exchanges online in 2006. They never did. I asked Jay this and his reply was that they did bring more international exchanges online for their prophetX product. Maybe he should have posted those comments in the prophetX wishlist forum then. The exchanges they brought on line were JADE and Bursa Malaysia - give me a break!!! These are certainly NOT high volume markets in Asia. When I saw that, I first laughed aloud and then cried. What about Hong Kong, Osaka, Tokyo, Sydney -- these are were the volumes are in Asia. Not in Bursa Malaysia or JADE.

I have been a client of theirs for over a year now but the lack of markets is forcing my hand and I will be moving to esignal. There is just no choice.

Bottom line. If anyone wants to trade a variety of international markets (both stocks and futures) then IQFeed will probably not suit your current and future needs.

Best regards,
    MK

#30     May 1, 2007