IQFeed data NOT so true tick or is it?

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by KiwiRoo, Feb 7, 2008.

1. This was posted while I was writing my most recent post.

Tick charts I agree are a bit of a bite and the smaller the number of ticks/bar the worse it is. There is also the nasty little problem which I have talked about elsewhere of what the charting software "decides" is the "first" tick du jour. Which is to say, the first price is not always the opening price. This is much more of a problem with equities than futures, IMO.

I don't have quite the same problem with time interval charts.
    I do not use constant volume charts but this is something I plan on checking out as I've heard a lot of interesting things about this way of presenting data, both from you and elsewhere.

lj

#21     Feb 8, 2008
  2. Like recommending a restaurant and a dish offered there.
    Let my opinion be your guide but order the dish and taste it to see whether it fits your palate.
    I really like the consistency of the CVB charts because a control the "time" increments through fractals.

#22     Feb 8, 2008
  3. iqfeed

iqfeed DTN

The exchange is in the middle of migrating feeds, and we need to wait to see how/when it shakes out. Fix/Fast is where everyone will go, and we have already migrated to it for some products from the exchange, such as market depth. However, the level I feed doesn't appear to be production ready due to some changes the exchange has made in the feed (there is some information vendors need/want in the feed to efficiently process it and the exchange is evaluating that feedback). For now, we are stuck on ITC until Fix/Fast is deemed production ready. ITC and RLC are both being phased out over the next year or two. In the end, this is all subject to change as the exchange continues on their migration and integration path (CME/CBOT).

We are as anxious as our customers to see a single feed that all vendors/brokers will use...

#23     Feb 8, 2008
  4. StreamlineTrade

StreamlineTrade Guest

I was under the impression that pretty much all data feeds are throttled. I know as fact that the TT data is (ok, not a data vendor).

If every tick and depth change was to be transmitted, your bandwidth would croak. Besides, the human eye can only register or 'see' something like 4 updates a second. Do you really need to see every tick?

As for the Fast CME feed, well thats really only of use to black box traders who are co-located near the exchange and can actually process the information.

ProfLogic: Interested in your CVB's. I still use time bars and volume plot underneath when using charts. I like to look at volume as a sentiment gague (like most I imagine). What would you use for this? Just the length of the bar, or perhaps tick bars to see how many trades it took to produce your volume?...

(Another thread perhaps?)

#24     Feb 8, 2008
  5. Here's a thread.

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80582&highlight=Odd+tick+volume

Intraday Chart = no more than 10 - 20 oscillations per day max
    Swing Chart = Slow the chart down 7 times
    Position = Slow the chart down 7 times
    Long Term = Slow the chart down 7 times

#25     Feb 8, 2008
  6. KiwiRoo

KiwiRoo

I think the discussion now is getting a little bit off topic, but interesting anyway. The reason of my original post was to question why IQFeed data, when compares to other feeds looks as if it has been consolidated. Clearly they advertise on their services page that their data is “Real-Time, TRUE Tick-by-Tick Data - http://www.iqfeed.net/index.cfm?displayaction=data&section=services”. I pay a lot of money just for this service instead of using the free data from my broker, so I expect them to deliver as promised!!!

Now I understand that CME exchange has 3 feeds pumping out data. New knowledge so, thank you, iqfeed rep and ljyoung for pointing that out.

As for Tick chart vs Volume chart, they look pretty much the same to me, so what ever floats your boat, stick to that one. Here is a screen shot of 55 ticks vs 500 cvb. As you can see there are no major differences.

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    KR

#26     Feb 8, 2008
  7. ssierra

ssierra

Hi,
    This has been a very interesting analysis. I think it is clear the different data services provided by the exchange market and that the differences are not significant (at least for me)
    Anyway what worries me is the difference on the stamp. It is more than one second and this is really important for me. Based on this could we conclude that IQFeed is 1 second delayed, or am I missing something?
    Thanks

#27     Feb 8, 2008
  8. KiwiRoo

KiwiRoo

I’m not sure and don’t really care much about the time stamps as I don’t look at them. But I do noticed IQFeed data being the slowest amongst the three. (Zen Fire is the fastest). If Zen Fire was available for Sierra Chart then I would be using their service.

KR:D

#28     Feb 8, 2008
  9. ssierra

ssierra

Thanks!

Do you know if zenfire is available for Forex??

Cheers

#29     Feb 8, 2008
  10. peto

peto

Thanks for turning this stone over.

Can anyone tell me how IB's feed now compares with the others since Globex started consolidation; or comment on its speed. I sometimes have trades reported as filled as much as a second before the price shows as reaching my limit order, which is a little disconcerting.

#30     Feb 8, 2008