IQ Feed and its API

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by bungrider, Dec 6, 2003.

1. thanks for the info.

could you post a link to the ActiveX API documentation? it seems you need to be an IQFeed customer in order to access it.

also, is the ActiveX API compatible with .NET?

TIA,
    -b

#11     Dec 8, 2003
  2. they wont give the API unless you pay $300 year fee. I did this, and got the API.
    I would have still used the app. if I got the API first (before paying).

I will say this - for testing, and non production purpose, it is ok. But, until they change to new API, I would not suggest real time use.
    This sentiment is the norm (after talking to other IQ feed users privately, and viewing thier developer forum).

I guess the big question - is there a reliable data source provider out there ( i have already tried Track (thumbs down) and IQ (thumbs middle))?

#12     Dec 8, 2003
  3. Yes. We have tested it with VB.Net and C# in conjunction with Frameworks 1.1. We have NOT tested Frameworks 1.0.

Daryush
    developer@iqfeed.net

#13     Dec 8, 2003
  4. What was the problem with Track? Do you think IQ is reliable enough to trade from, leaving aside the API issues?

#14     Dec 8, 2003
  5. I think IQ is reliable enough. They give speedy quotes (real time - emini). When I left track, I still had 1 month remaining (Month was remaining, so in reality I had 2 feeds). I compared IQ to Track - every day, for 1 month. The results? IQ was faster. I did this testing on same PC.

Now about track. I actually loved the service, for the price - $79 for all quotes, and $25 monthly API fee.
    I had a few outage days, but I can live with that.
    There API? Stinks. I had a C++ friend read it over, and API is poorly written. Still, after implementation, everything was ok. God forbid you need help though! Support it just that forum on Yahoo. The guy, Morris, he is swamped.

Regardless, of my complaints, Track was ok until they decided to cancel all users (they were canceling their customers!) if they did not do 15 trades a month.
    Do I trade? Yes. Will I do it with them? NO! I decide where I trade.
    They lost a lot of business over this. Long story short, i left, they took that requirement away (but raised SDK fee to $95 month (for non traders) - this is pricey).
    I also believe Track is doing poor, poor enough to shut doors any day. This is my opinion. Since I rely on quotes, I need stable company for them....
    Currently, as you can see, not happy with IQ either.
    Lately, I have realized that there is NO reliable under $200 month data providers with API. If anyone does this job now, they would be rich.

#15     Dec 8, 2003
  6. As someone in the same boat as you (both IQFeed and MyTrack), I agree with much of everything you said.

The only thing I'm not sure is whether doing a low cost API is a profitable proposition. The support costs are enormous. If you could assure somehow that you mostly get experienced, self-sufficient programmers using it, it would be one thing. But this is nearly impossible to do and as a result, much of the SDK programmer base needs major hand holding through every aspect of their development in addition to writing code that crushes the servers with unnecessary and repetitive data requests.

#16     Dec 8, 2003
  7. I agree with that. The other thought I have on this - and it ties in with your statement - is that most data vendors (qualified, registered data vendors) dont write / provide API because of the abuse they will take from use.
    My system does not require this, but looking at mytrack forum, there are traders who download 500+ stocks (minute data) every minute. Multiply that by 100 or more users, the outgoing traffic is enormous.
    Too bad. As you said, under 200 is not likely. under 500 is not likely either!! If my system ever gets to require it (ie. can afford it) FIX may be the best way. that will run $1000 and up.
    I was speaking to a friend - what about taking a feed from one of these guys, and writing an API based on their data?
    Since their API is so awful (to the effect of who wrote this stuff), this would make sense. Has anyone ever though of it?

#17     Dec 8, 2003
  8. That is the other thought. If someone wrote a really good, well thought out API, then much of the abuse could probably be avoided.

Good luck with your app!

#18     Dec 8, 2003
  9. iqfeed

iqfeed DTN

First off, we are a qualified, registered data vendor. We have an API for our Internet feed, as well as a full broadcast datafeed. Depending on its purpose, the broadcast feed is as low as $129/mo. There is no API for this, just a protocol specification.

Regarding making an API on someones datafeed. This has been done by a few people on our broadcast feed. M3 server from MarketStream (although they are not someone I would recommend since they don't support their software or feed drivers), and a few others who are currently trying to find a market for their API (one is looking to make theirs open source via KDE).

Regarding our API for IQFeed. The only complaint I have seen on this thread is regarding the mousemove message on other interface quirks. We are in complete agreement that this is bad. We are working on a new interface to alleviate these issues. What I don't understand is, even though the mouse move is bad, why does it give you the impression that our entire product/feed is bad? Our datafeed is one of the fastest and most reliable feeds available. We offer it at a lower cost than anyone else with a quality feed. Our registered developers receive fast, personal response and our average response time is currently 1 hour.

This thread is good, and I appreciate hearing from customers and/or prospective customers. It is these type of comments which drove us to write a new interface and continue to enhance our feed.

Thanks

Jay

#19     Dec 9, 2003
  10. Jay,

Thanks for your comments. It is always a good sign when a company has a rep here responding.

I'm not a developer, but I've used virtually every feed and many of the charting app's. I think there is some broad agreement that many of us would love something along the lines of QCharts or RealTick with an ultrareliable and quick feed at an affordable cost, and we would use it with a broker like IB.

#20     Dec 9, 2003