IPv6 & a new router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by slowBear, Feb 12, 2011.

1. slowBear

slowBear

I recently read that IPv6 is coming. Given that I'm having trouble with NetFlix streaming on my Linksys BEFSR41 (very old!!), I'm thinking of getting a new router/switch. Will a new router (such as D-Link DGL-4100) be able to handle IPv6?? I looked on the D-Link website & can't find any statement on IPv6. Will any router that I buy today handle IPv6 or should I wait a while before buying a new one??

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I'm open to suggestions on what wired router/switch to buy. (I don't know a lot about this.)

2. I upgraded from your model to WRT54GL with 3 party Linux Tomato software from Polarcloud. Part of the problem with your router, as I recall, as 10 mg download limit, not good for streaming video or downloading big files. Now I can download 4 at a times with 20 meg down. newegg dot com

3. From what I understand with v6, every person on the earth can have a million ip addresses and the networks still wouldn't have to worry about chunking off into classes to conserve space.

Cool stuff.

4. Mikrotik. RouberBoard. Small price, great features and really enough performance for most needs unless you talk major offices.

I use a 450G at home, and will move my hosting backbone to a 1100AH soon.

The 450 was about 100 USD and has all features one currently can even want ;) Check it out.