IPO's and publically traded companies with no revenues

Discussion in 'Trading' started by doug456, Apr 20, 2004.

1. doug456

doug456

Can someone tell me how a company can do an IPO w/no revenues or income? I'm not talking about any particular company, but I've seen it done. Or how can an existing pubically traded company with a net loss stay in bussiness. Seems like I always hear about companies having net losses for 8 straight quaters or something, how can these companies stay in business. Seems like just about anyone with an idea for a company can do an IPO today.

2. dgmodel

dgmodel Guest

if you think its crazy now... you shouldve seen it back in 95-99...

3. doug456

doug456

i remeber how it was back in the late 90's, i'm just curiuos how any company now or then can go public with no revenues or anything. Does the underwriter not care about that? or are they only after the money involved in taking a company public.

4. dgmodel

dgmodel Guest

perception, one mans trash is another mans treasure...

5. these companies are no different than households living in debt...

go take a look at how much debt GM, CAT, F, DE, TWX, etc and see how much debt they're in... some are in more debt than their mkt capital.

6. doug456

doug456

one thing I never understood, is how these new companies paid the expenses of having an ipo, with auditors, lawyers, printing etc. i've heard that a small ipo can costa around 250,000.00, with no revenues, were does that money come from.

7. doug456

doug456

that's one thing i'm curiuos about, is how do these companies with so much debt for so long(and i mean years, not a few months) stay in business? when they have a net income that is negative and has been that way, the money has to come from somewhere

8. dgmodel

dgmodel Guest

what do you think the stock is for~!?

9. doug456

doug456

is that legal? I always thought the sale of stock was supposed to be used to better the companies business development, not get it out of debt? Does the same hold true for IPO's?

10. dgmodel

dgmodel Guest

everything is disclosed in the prospectus what the monies raised will be for... you the investor need to read it before you buy any shares... bottom line... read all your info on ipo's and secondaries and see what the money is used for...

#10     Apr 20, 2004