iphones --free markets beat so called government regulated natural monopolies.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by zdreg, Nov 27, 2017.

1. JackRab

JackRab

Yeah me too... I was kinda aiming at OP. :)

#11     Nov 27, 2017
  2. DaveV

DaveV

#12     Nov 27, 2017
  3. zdreg

zdreg

posters had the opportunity to debunk the article but were unsuccessful. 30 years of a Bell, enabled government monopoly with lack of progress for private consumers, was the prime example of the downside of government sanctioned private monopolies.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    #13     Nov 28, 2017
  4. This might be an example of the downside, albeit even in this case there are important caveats that people have pointed out...

There's a plethora of examples of enormous upside of government sanctioned private monopolies that resulted in monumental progress for consumers.

EDIT: Basically, you're thinking about it all wrong...

#14     Nov 28, 2017
    Slartibartfast likes this.
  5. There were plenty of mobile phones before the iPhone. This could be down to a generational thing, guys in their mid 40s and above are bemused at the notion that iPhone was somehow the start of significant innovation. The article long and poorly written by someone who seems to be selling to teenagers in school not adults.

Landline telephone companies in most countries had a state monopoly for several reason involving the sheer cost but also state security during the cold war.

Bell labs were forerunners in pure research that assisted innovation.

Why Bell Labs Was So Important To Innovation In The 20th Century
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/...-innovation-in-the-20th-century/#2bb1a3ad7015

#15     Nov 28, 2017
  6. zdreg

zdreg

7. #17     Nov 28, 2017
  8. zdreg

zdreg

none of which you listed.

#18     Nov 28, 2017
  9. Would you like me to list some examples?

#19     Nov 28, 2017
  10. piezoe

piezoe

That is an exaggeration, it is more true if you mean money that can from the taxpayer as apposed to research that was actually done in government labs.

#20     Nov 28, 2017