iPhone 4s vs. new Android?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by opt789, Oct 18, 2011.

1. #21     Oct 31, 2011
  2. opt789

opt789

I saw that article referenced a few other places and after reading the comments on each of them it appears the author did cherry pick a number of low end phones to make the graph look a little worse. But he does have a point that you are at the mercy of your carrier is some instances.

At this point I am planning on ordering the Galaxy Nexus when it comes out (should be this month) and see how it goes. Since it comes with ice cream sandwich and I will be signing up for a two year contract I am not too worried about upgrades.

These days you can buy a good desktop computer and it will be outdated in a little while but it is so powerful that it doesn’t really matter. But with the speed they are improving phones and tablets anything you buy now will be outdated very fast.

#22     Nov 1, 2011
  3. opt789

opt789

Thanks for the info. I tried your phone at the store and I liked it too, that helped me make the decision to wait for the new Nexus.

#23     Nov 1, 2011
  4. maxpi

maxpi

I've had a Galaxy S since January. I really immersed myself in the Android world recently just because I kept having problems and I was curious about it all... I've gotta say, after a year, this thing is a piece of shit in a few ways and Android in general is a kludged up pile of 99% worthless garbage...

I can't hear phone calls without using the speaker. The GPS is so weak as to be useless. [those two complaints are voiced by most owners of the phone]. I upgraded to the latest Android and subsequently sometimes the phone doesn't respond to button presses.. I can walk into my room with the wifi router and the phone won't automatically connect to the wifi, worse yet, it will display the notification that wifi is present but will still be connected to 3G.. I have to check it every goddam time and it's annoying me to death... when I use a browser the whole screen is filled up with the top part of the browser, the screen is too small to serve for browsing and the 3G is so slow as to render the whole experience very unsatisfying... screen swipes sometimes result in unpredictable events happening, I can't recreate that... The screen has a sick green tiring cast to it...

I won't try to bundle browsing with phone again. The browsing is far more important to me than the phone. I wear dockers and jeans and a 7" tablet can go with me everywhere comfortably. I'll instead bundle phone with browsing. I'm playing with Google voice for the calling.. if that proves satisfactory I'll get a tablet and be done with it... If the Kindle Fire serves to drive down tablet prices I'll be a little happier but it won't serve for anything but streaming Amazon stuff: no GPS...

#24     Nov 1, 2011
  5. 377OHMS

377OHMS

I've had a new Galaxy S II for a few weeks now and love it. It is very powerful and I haven't had any problems at all. I'm posting from it now.

IMO it is incredibly good for browsing and email.

#25     Nov 1, 2011
  6. I have the 3gs with att and I had decided to stay with them until maybe the iphone 5 came out. I travel a lot and my data wasn't working everywhere I traveled. I called ATT today and asked them about it and the lady told me I went over my limit for 2 months in 2010 so now I'm permanently cut off form data out of network. I explained to the lady I was wanting the data while I traveled and that I've been an att customer with my business lines and home phone for 30 years and I have internet and uverse through them also. She again told me the ban was permanent and that there wouldn't be a cancellation charge if I wanted to change carriers. I explained to her if I left I would take all my business elsewhere and she basically said do what you have to do. Crazy, isn't it, going to go to Verizon next week and look at the new iphone and call direct tv. Guess they didn't need my money.

#26     Nov 1, 2011
  7. dave74

dave74

Apple basically creates the smartphone and tablet markets, and it looks like it's gonna lose it in a few years.

#27     Nov 1, 2011
  8. #28     Nov 2, 2011
  9. #29     Nov 2, 2011

10. Is it ?

#30     Nov 2, 2011