Ipad/Tablets or Notebook

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NewToSystemTrad, Sep 17, 2011.

1. You can get a windows7 tablet on ebay for about $300.

#21     Nov 11, 2011
  2. lwlee

lwlee

But you probably get what you pay for. 1.3-1.5lb, .5in thickness, at least 9in screen, long battery life, etc. The bar has been raised for tablets. The newest stuff coming out will probably only be worthwhile.

#22     Nov 11, 2011
  3. Thanks for the information regarding the brand of notebook/laptop.

Does that mean I have to get the latest hardware to run trading software? Are all trading software’s are up-to-date with IT market changes?

Will they be able to run trading software? Will they be as good as laptop/notebook?

#23     Dec 15, 2011
  4. Windows 7 has been around for a long time. All broker specific apps do run on Win7 (maybe I'm wrong, but I haven't encountered any that don't). Win8 is still in the future. You never want to jump on it quickly. Wait until at least the first service pack. that should easily be at least 2 years away from now.

Tablets that can run a full operating system (Windows 7) are generally much bulkier and heavier than tablets such as iPad or Android. Their screen resolution is limited.

Personally, I need to look at multiple charts at the same time. Just my style. iPads and Android based systems won't allow that. You're stuck with whatever "app" your broker has available. For example, the Scottrade and Interactive Broker's apps are horrible on the Android system. You can only see one chart at a time. And the IB's app doesn't even show you after hours on their charts (not even futures!).

A tablet with Win7 allows you to run the same broker program that you do on your home computer. But I still find those difficult to use without a physical keypad and limited screen resolutions. Others may be fine with it, but it's not for me.

I'm on the road frequently as well. To me, nothing beats a laptop. And I look for the smallest laptop with the highest resolution so I can fit more charts on the screen.

If you're an investor, you may only need to see one chart at a time. So a regular tablet like the iPad may do the job. Really depends on your needs.

#24     Dec 16, 2011