IP Restrictions

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by cstfx, Sep 23, 2007.

1. LOL if Baron cared at all about you, he wouldnt be throwing your ass in chit chat on a consistent basis (which doesnt appear on the homepage, I might add). You are not the one driving business here, you are just the person annoying everyone.

A savy business man doesnt put the "golden goose" and his golden eggs down in chit chat where most people dont venture, idiot.

#11     Sep 25, 2007
  2. You are a jack hershey lackey, even though you wont admit it. Look at yourself, you spend all your waking hours creating new aliases...and for what....to talk about Jack Hershey :p

Come on now, look in the mirror and take your blinders off, no one talks or follows Jack more than you do!

#12     Sep 25, 2007
  3. Tums

Tums

Just charge a $10 membership fee, in which you get the life time membership and a $10 coupon from the book store.
    At the same time you can charge the bookstore $10 for the customer referral. Your total take will be $20 !!!
    Now that's a business idea. What's my cut?

#13     Sep 25, 2007
  4. Ok, so lets get the ball rolling with ideas in a legit fashion, Perhaps an Poll of the members to see what they think, run options by people and figure out a better way to keep the riff raff from coming back with the same nonesense. Like Magna said, there are too many internet savy posters who are bypassing the weak security that this site has and are making a mockery of it. There is certainly nothing wrong with healthy debate but there is a difference btw that and what we are seeing lately.

I am all for positive changes and will be happy to help if needed.

#14     Sep 25, 2007
  5. Or you can still have a life, and buy stealthsurfer or go to a free proxy portal by googling it.

#15     Sep 26, 2007
  6. andread

andread

if this is really the problem, how many can you get of those? Just ban all of them.
    another issue would be someone with access to many machines, like a university campus, or with dynamic ip addresses.
    You can still ban the domain though.

#16     Sep 26, 2007
  7. I think Banning a domain will prevent others from the same domain from accessing ET.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

For example, lets pretend we have 6 members with the verizon.net domain.

If verizon is banned because of one bad apple doesn't that prevent the other 5 verizon users from logging into ET???

Here's some problems I see that allows the multiple aliases and many other eye sore problems:

* There are not enough moderators.

* The moderators we do have most of them aren't active users of ET.

Thus, they are only aware of problems only when someone uses the complaint button.

* Most of the moderators are only allowed to police the forum they are assigned too.

For example, the moderator from the Journal section cannot edit, delete, close any threads started in the Career Trader section.

Maybe a moderator can correct me if I'm wrong.

Solution to help control the problematic posters:

* Moderators are allowed to moderate any section of ET.

* Baron needs to contact all the active posters that frequent ET on a daily basis and post messages without breaking the rules to see if they want to be a moderator.

If they say yes...give them roaming ability to moderate the entire EliteTrader.com

My point with the above is this.

IP banning doesn't work and ET needs to be more aggressive in moderating to send a loud and clear message...

As soon as you post some junk...it gets deleted and then your banned.

No warnings and no questions asked.

Hardcore censorship of only those that are problematic and breaking rules.

Simply, sometimes drastic measures are needed to stop a growing problem.

Mark

#17     Sep 26, 2007
  8. A tad paranoid are we?

#18     Sep 27, 2007
  9. andread

andread

you are not.
    On the other side, banning an ip address when someone is accessing the internet through a gateway, bans all the people behind the same gateway. Not a perfect solution either.

#19     Sep 27, 2007
  10. andread

andread

i would agree. Many annoying people are just happy when they cause reactions. The fact that people answer has as major consequence an increase in annoying posts. The best way to get rid of these people is to ignore them.
    Unfortunately, I don't think this is going to happen.

#20     Sep 27, 2007