ip address

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by steeldust, Apr 30, 2006.

1. yes thanks very much. i know other people that are running the router and have the same cable company(shaw) and they aren't getting these malware hits. i am using Interactive brokers and making that work properly is my primary concern so if you recommend a router? cause with that stuff i know zilch

the wierd thing is alot of the time i get these probes(ouch) and i'm not even in a website and its not like i even go to crappy websites.and i don't download anything. i read about programs that record ip #'s and then try to hack them

i also will try the release/renew way suggested.

#11     May 3, 2006
  2. or i could try this:

#12     May 3, 2006
  3. A router will provide some protection from your PC. Right now you are directly connected to the internet so you are relying on your PC's software firewall to protect you. Personally I like hardware protection. A router with NAT isnt bulletproof but its a lot better then nothing. The next step up would be a stateful firewall.

It likely has nothing to do with you. For instance I see tens of thousands of SQL slammer hits against my firewalls every day. These are just infected hosts scanning the internet for more machines to infect - there is nothing manual about it, if it happens to scan your network IP then you will see the probe. Multiply that by millions of machines throughout the world infected with various things and you can a constant background "hum" of probes. Check out this page: http://isc.sans.org/large_map.php

Its not like an unlisted phone number, if you have an IP address you will get probed (even if you send nothing out). Its nothing to worry about as long as you have taken care to protect yourself.

#13     May 3, 2006
  4. If I remember right,when I was usingZone I kept getting probes from the same ip address which ultimately turned out to be my own isp checking the connection or some such thing.:D

#14     May 3, 2006
  5. thanx alot for the replies. it finally worked with release,shut down overnight,renew routine.
    the real funny thing is i was hit with a malware probe an hrl ater.lol. at least i know now.next i'll get the router.

#16     May 4, 2006
  6. try a Netgear FR114P Prosafe VPN firewall with 4 ports and a print server. Has SIF (Statefull Inspection Firewall). Cheap too.

Maria

#17     May 9, 2006
  7. I second that. That is an incredibly cheap and reliable firewall - its the Blue-ugly series from Netgear, not the flash looking silver ones. Some people say they have had issues with them, but for me they have worked flawlessly for years.

#18     May 9, 2006
  8. imo a good % of elitetrader is actually ex- or current IT guys.

ps - ur modem should have some kind of ip filter built in.

#19     May 10, 2006
  9. maxpi

maxpi

It's these freaking people that actually know something, they never fight with you. Dang.

#20     May 12, 2006