IP address

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by JDL, Feb 26, 2009.

1. cant change it but you can hide it which serves exactly the same purpose.

#11     Feb 26, 2009
  2. jaley

jaley

If you change the MAC address of the device connected to the cable modem, Comcast will give you a new IP.

#12     Feb 26, 2009
  3. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

There are two types of IP addresses for most home users. The first and most common is the Dynamic IP address. In this scenario your ISP (cable or DSL provider) assigns a dynamic IP address via DHCP. Your address can change based on time (aging) or when your equipment is reset or unplugged. One reality is that many times the service provider maintains a map of your MAC to IP address on their equipment, and you tend to always be re-assigned the address that you had previously when a look-up is performed. With Time Warner Cable, our household has had the same IP address for over three years.

The second type of IP address is a static IP address in which a permanent address is assigned to your connection. Static IP addresses are usually associated with business connections where the user is running a mail or web server that needs a permanent IP address. Most home connections do not use static addressing unless you specificly request it and pay for it.

- Greg

#13     Feb 26, 2009
  4. deaddog

deaddog

is there a way to determin who belongs to an IP address?

My firewall will let me know if the computer is trying to contact an IP address and give me the address it is trying to connect to.

Can I trace this address?

#14     Feb 26, 2009
  5. Yes.
    insert IP here
    http://www.networldmap.com/TryIt.htm

#15     Feb 26, 2009
  6. you can always use a proxy server, which makes it look like you have a different IP address.

#16     Feb 26, 2009
  7. deaddog

deaddog

#17     Feb 26, 2009

8. Would the persons name , address and ss# be enough info?

#18     Feb 26, 2009
  9. deaddog

deaddog

I think its a business. I was hoping I might find out if that was so.

When I shutdown one of my programs the firewall alerts me that the program is trying to connect to the internet.

I'm curious as to why.

#19     Feb 26, 2009
  10. cstfx

cstfx

Whatever program is trying to connect to the internet on its own should be deleted from your computer. Use taskmanager to see what is running on your computer. If you don't recognize a process, google it and get others input on it. Some items I felt were bots or spys were processes for real programs, not a threat.

#20     Feb 27, 2009