Investor's Business Daily, print edition

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by hughb, Nov 6, 2008.

1. hughb

hughb

I haven't seen one in a long time. My next door neighbor has an unsolicitied month long free trial, and he brought it over to me today to see if I woud be interested in it.

It isn't delivered by the paper boy, it came in the US mail. I was surprised to see that it is today's paper, considering that it is mailed I would have assumed it would always be a day late.

I've noticed some changes since the last time I read it back in the 80's - early 90's. First of all, they are using very cheap newsprint, I can almost see through it. Secondly, it is more expensive now than the WSJ, it used to be cheaper. Thirdly, they have organized their stock tables by sector instead of exchange like they used to. They still have plenty of those odd looking, poorly scaled charts.

The journalistic writing is still as poor as I remember it. The stories read more like a lecture than a report.

I remember walking by a IBD vending machine in front of a drugstore many years ago and noticing that they had a Saturday paper. Back then the WSJ did not have a Saturday edition, so I thought to myself that the IBD just may overtake the WSJ someday, I was certainly wrong about that.

Does anybody here subscribe to the print edition? How do you like it? I subscribe to the WSJ print newspaper and I love it. I really couldn't see myself reading this IBD paper everyday. I wish that the WSJ would go back to full stock tables like they used to have, but that will never happen considering the savings they get by not printing them. And that begs the question, why does the IBD still run full stock tables? They must be the only paper in the world that does it.

I wonder how much longer the IBD can hold on. All print media, not just newspapers, are losing to the internet. I just read today that Time Warner is agonizing over keeping Time. I don't think that the death of print media is a good thing, it's simply the reality.

2. IBD picks really suck during a downturn. Nearly all of the top 100 stocks in June 2008 are off 60% or more.

3. Ibd picks are only down 60%. Thats not bad compared to your picks. yours stock picks are down 75-80%. And your market calls are wrong 99.9% of the time

4. Recall

Recall

What is it you love about the WSJ print edition and how is that delivered to you? Would you know how much a subscription is?

5. Ah, that brings back memories. I used to buy the weekend edition as well. I was never a fan of WSJ, so IBD was the only other alternative.

6. WSJ is the best paper ever, soo good for paper mache. For some reason it holds really good.

LOL!!!!

7. LEAPup

LEAPup

They're both paper mache material.:D

8. Damned you, options2001 ;-) - I dang near pissed my pants - classic! Too damned funny!!!

9. hughb

hughb

I love my morning newspaper and coffee. The first thing I read in the WSJ is the Large Stock Focus and the Small Stock Focus for a report on what the markets did the previous day. Then I go to the market data section to see the percentage gainers and losers and the trends of the widely held stocks. Then I scan through the new highs.

Here's a link to subscribe, you can pay monthly or annually:

https://www.wallstreetjournal.com/Gryphon/jsp/retentionController.jsp?page=10072&psid=search

10. If you are a follower of IBD I don't think you'd be trying to buy any longs right now. They may highlight up stocks, but I think the idea is to not be a buyer if the overall market is in a downtrend. Instead look for short ideas in the paper. I haven't had the paper in awhile and when I checked a couple of moths ago it did seem expensive, and they had a whole slew of upsale options. The WSJ you can get pretty cheap. $99 for a year of online, or the same for a year of delivery. Every so often you can get both for the $99. Through my bank I get the online for $99 and the bank rebates me 35% for going through their site to sign up. Both papers are financial, but they hit the markets with different information on the stocks. I would like to get both, but not sure I'd ever get through them both as I tend to read everything.

#10     Nov 7, 2008