Investools?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by davidw0903, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Hi,
    I know that there are many websites out there that can do the same technical charting that Investools can do. But are there tools out there where you can do search and filter through stocks. For example searching by industry, view industry strength whether its starting to uptrend vs downtrend. Or can you do searches based on MG-Zack scores, green arrows within the last X days, or have similar prebuilt searches that Investools offers. If anyone can recommend any sites for this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

#11     Aug 30, 2006
  2. 1600ski

1600ski

dear criznazy53,

as a former student of Investools, i can speak first hand about their search tools. still use the site somewhat today. some helpful search sites are as follows:

http://www.marketwatch.com/tools/marketsummary/calendars/economic.asp?x=0&siteid=mktw

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/economy/economic_calendar.asp?cbsReferrer=

http://money.cnn.com/markets/IRC/

http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/finder/predefstocks.aspx

however, if you really want to find quality picks based on solid technicals, might want to look into this site : http://www.trendadvisor.com/ Chuck Dukas, is a mentor of mine and he wrote a book on what he call the 6 phases of the market. Chuck refers to it as a diamond pattern. The phases are (bullish side)Recovery, Accumulation, Bullish, then onto (bearish)Warning, Distribution, and Bearish.

some recovery stocks are, DVA, ESRX, UNH, AMGN, note relationship of 50 dma to 200 dma. some warning phase stocks include CME, $DTX.X, CRS...etc

reason i point these out is Chuck wrote software for Tradestation to sift through 1000 stocks and tell you what phase these stocks are in and all you need to do is run through them. in some cases his software will even point out trades. software only works on Tradestation.

Chuck teaches price in relationship to the 50 & 200 dma. his tools work. as they taught me at Investools, find a person that trades the way you want to trade and learn from them. that's what i did.

if you want to see a screen shot of what i'm talking about you can e-mail me @ 1600ski@gmail.com.

good luck,

steve

#12     Aug 30, 2006
  3. it's bait and switch

my policy for that tactic is always, ALWAYS walk, be it a retail product, 'business opportunity' or anything else

#13     Sep 1, 2006
  4. foible

foible

You have to remember that, from their perspective, their major product isn't their website, it isn't their "methodology", it isn't their stock selection tools, it is their courses.

How do you get people to spend a few hours of their weekend in a free seminar, then spend 3k for a weekend, another 5k on a follow-up weekend, and finally 30k for a final weekend?

You could teach them about the markets and give them the knowledge to be a successful trader. Or you could follow the investools path and give them a motivational seminar, make them feel enthusiastic and confident, talk constantly about the money you will make, and at all cost, prevent people from understanding anything about the markets.

They leave the seminar feeling psyched and spend a month following the three green arrows, but get a bit frustrated by their lack of success. They figure that "if only they knew about options", then they would make money.

It's the poor saps that think they're being tought about how to trade that are getting shafted. That's not the goal, it never was.

#14     Sep 1, 2006
  5. that process is quite common in 'trading resources'

very common

#15     Sep 1, 2006
  6. davidw0903

davidw0903 Guest

You know since my initial post, I've really come to the conclusion that the product they offer, the toolkit, really is a valuable piece of software. If only that was offered on a standalone basis instead of in a bundle -- take our expensive class first then we'll give you access to it.
    As in any trading/investment situation, looking at what to trade you always start from the top down like a funnel.
    Sure you may come across some stocks that look great to trade from a scan, but hows the overall market? How's the sector it's in? What about the fundamentals? What are your indicators saying?
    Their toolkit saves some time in the investigation. It can point you in the right direction.
    I've found some packages I like, ChartSmart being one., StockScans seems to be another. But I'm still evaluating packages.
    Using the toolkit on it's own could be disasterous. But, in conjunction with your trading knowledge, verifying the information given against your chart scans, the indicators you trust, it could be a very valuable tool.
    Hell any tool that can give you a leg up in this market would be worth it.
    Sure I've found similar tools scattered over the net. Some software is excellent at this, rotten at that. But you can find a couple of packages or so that give you a complete picture of what you want. Their toolkit seems to have everything together that you may need to feed information to your favorite charting software for verification of what you're seeing.

#16     Sep 1, 2006
  7. you might want to try Scientology too :p

#17     Sep 1, 2006
  8. I really appreciate people commenting on Investools.

And thanks for the links!

However, if Investools delivers on what they promise, it's worth the $30 K to take their courses.

I just finished their 2-day course in Vancouver and I coudn't believe the amount of material they plugged into us in those two short days... I'm into them for $4K , not $30K, but I'm committed to spending that $30K if I make back the $4K in a reasonable period of time. Nothing like spending a lot of money to get committed to something.

I'm ahead $15K this summer, and I'll admit I got very, very, very lucky on a venture resource issue on the TSX, however, in doing that, I realized I really enjoyed trading and maybe I'm even hooked on it!

So, while I'm suspicious of the expense of the course, if their training delivers what they say it will with an hour a day of honest trading and studying, I'm in. And I'll sing from the rooftops if I consistently start making money.

#18     Sep 8, 2006
  9. foible

foible

Really?

Beyond buy when MACD, Stoch and MA signal (3 green arrows) as technicals and a handful of fundamental indicators, what did you really learn? They'll pump you up for sure, but what do you think they tought you?

#19     Sep 8, 2006