Investment Bank career advice

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by trader99169, May 25, 2005.

1. right on sle. that previous post you quoted is just a lame excuse for not aiming higher. like saying if i make millions, i'll be spending millions too so i won't be more well off

#31     May 27, 2005
  2. what are the other benefits of working in operations then?

#32     May 27, 2005
  3. its not the job.

its the brand name. sadly people either forget, or deny how important a brand name is, especially on this board.

#33     May 27, 2005
  4. kamdooo

kamdooo  

and what would those benefits be?

#34     May 29, 2005
  5. GSCO business card with your name on it.
    ability to say I work for .. whoever.

paid vacation, great 401k and vacation benefits, work stability.
    access to intranet job postings so you can move around the firm when you fell like jumping out of the window after doin ops in one department for 3 years or so.

#35     May 29, 2005
  6. kamdooo

kamdooo  

good benefits indeed. I'm surprised anyone at this site would dare mention both sides of an argument.

#36     May 29, 2005
  7. He said "operation analyst" which is most likely in regards to Operations not Investment Banking. In that case, what Copernicus said is right. Great answer although a little glamourizing.

LOL, aint that the truth.

You're giving him too much credit. Pikers actually trade.

#37     May 29, 2005
  8. Midas

Midas

kamdooo,

For whatever reason people with less pedigree make you angry. Relax a little bit and realize that this country was built on the backs of all types.... I am afraid that the majority of wealth in this country is controlled by the people that you would probably turn your nose up to. Take the chip off your shoulder and you will excel my friend.

Sorry to go off topic....

:cool:

#38     May 29, 2005
  9. kamdooo

kamdooo  

you are probably right. People use to tell me that fellers with above average IQs often suffered from depression.

Hopefully I need not worry about that as i'll very likely depend upon the creativity and street smarts that arrive from burning some books to make a living

That or I'll just live a standard, boring life making an above average salary, wondering if I ever truly lived. I probably won't, just because i know I'm not meant to be a punter in an arcade.

Its funny that some of the worst law school students who attend absurd institutions like depaul or state this and state make over 100k in the city as a newb. But being from a poor income family and having little to no education or prestige, its easy to see the allure in a steady salary. Some friend of the family scored a 300k job 2nd year out of wash u in missouri...and thats not even that good of a uni....and no she wasnt the top of her class either.

But for every shmuck like her, theres another on some message board that speaks the truth about the troubles and toils in life. I guess there will always be the bottom tier, in most professions.

Quite frankly, i've been somewhat turned off by ET. and not just ET, but alot of the arcades i've been too. The people that operate in the arcade profession are of another breed; i'm not sure i want to associate myself with that at any point in my life.

Its crass. blunt. rude. Some people higher up hold their heads up proud; they are elite. They probably come off as rude to boot.

And then there are those in the trenches, the punters, the arcade players. Just hanging around an arcade for one week showed me that many do the same thing. The only difference is that whether or not these folks cash in, they are still rude to each other, ABRUPT, and have some social skill barriers.

You've got rude aristocrats. You've also got rude apes.

Give an ape 500 lbs of gold and he's still an ape, and always will be an ape.

#39     May 29, 2005

10. So is it safe to suggest that maybe you are bitter abiut not getting a prop deal, LOL? Let me guess GHCO rejected you and now you decide that you also reject them!!! The fact is that you came to Elite Trader looking for advice about prop deals, and people like myself were more than willing to listen to your queries and then give you advice; and yet you seem angry with those who tried to help you. Look back I gave you nothing but good advice about the pitfalls of trading, and so did many others. The fact is that you are NOT I-Bank material so why even go on about IBs in the first place. YOU wanted to trade, nobody on here tried to seduce you with trading. You just seem very bitter overnight which makes me wonder if it is because you failed to secure a deal. IF you think that prop trading sucks, then great for you as you know that you are better off taking another job, doing something else, but you are not going to convert people who make money doing something that they should also quit. Sure some arcades maybe rude places, but certainly not all of them.

You need to work out what it is that you want in life, because is sounds like you are not mature enough to handle the pressures of trading!!!!!

#40     May 30, 2005