Investing Journal - T2S

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Took2Summit, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Start of week: $23,712
    End of week: $21,695 (-%8.5)

Well, being margined and going through a week like that has really hurt. I am a bit discouraged but will try and repair the damage done. It will take at least 1 month of call writing, if not more. I just hope the damage is done.

I sold 2 calls on NKE and M at absolutely terrible times today as I'm already stopped out on both. I picked up about %2.5 (not reflected in my end of week value) in premium for my entire account though and they both expire aug 20. I can salvage the month if MSFT can try to close around 27 by Aug 20.

Ouch and yikes. Cya next week.

#11     Aug 5, 2011
  2. Bought back MSFT 27 Aug 20 for $0.13 and sold MSFT 25 Aug 12 for $0.56..Gonna go down swinging!

#12     Aug 8, 2011
  3. Just bought back MSFT 25 aug 12 for $0.19 Will be looking to sell probably MSFT 26 aug 20s..just waiting for good opportunity at some point today.

#13     Aug 12, 2011
  4. Sold to open MSFT 26 Aug 20 for $0.16, this price also reflects a $0.16 dividend to be declared this week.

#14     Aug 12, 2011
  5. Start of week: $21,695
    End of week: $21,658 (-0.2%)
    YTD: +$1,658 ( +8.3%)

Was obviously a busy week. I did several trades in options to try and ease some of the pain and it appeared to work as I am fully margined and still beating the market on the week. I decided to add another metric of YTD gain.

I have a MSFT dividend of $0.16 being declared this week and I have officially started experimenting with the weekly calls on MSFT instead of the monthly, with decent success so far.

I have considered sharing my position size allocations but haven't really come to a conclusion on that, I don't think it's really needed.

Next week is sure to provide more volatility as well as it being option expiration week. I have roughly $600 in option premium to expire next week as well as some growth possibilities in the underlying still available, neither of which are reflecting in my weekly update. Hopefully we can pull a good week out and get back near the high water mark!

#15     Aug 12, 2011
  6. Please use English, Swedish or Russian as I don't read gibberish. MSFT Aug 26 call? The dividend doesn't benefit the call, if that's the implication.

#16     Aug 17, 2011
  7. I actually wrote MSFT 26 Aug 20 call, which is the way my brokerage firm lists it. Meaning MSFT 26 strike with August 20th expiration. I am sorry you had difficulty understanding such an elaborate concept. Hopefully you understand now :)

And the price of an option reflects dividend payments absolutely, if you think otherwise I am greatly sorry. The option price will be less during the period of a dividend as the price of the stock will drop by the amount of the dividend. Meaning the $0.16 received would normally have been more had there not been a dividend this week. But i guess what you said has some truth, as you are right, the dividend does not benefit the call, it hurts the seller in this case, and I never alluded to otherwise.

#17     Aug 17, 2011
  8. There are puts and calls... you neglected to mention either, so yeah, that's a pretty important omission. I don't trade MSFT so I had to quote it to see it was the call, as the put is ITM. Next time try to stay coherent long enough to add a "C" or a "P".

My point is that the price reflects the pending dividend. I don't know wtf you're rambling on about.

This thread is an embarrassment.

#18     Aug 17, 2011
  9. You said:
    My point is that the price reflects the pending dividend.

I said (first):
    THE PRICE ALSO REFLECTS A $0.16 DIVIDEND TO BE DECLARED THIS WEEK.

You are little one of the most ignorant people I've ever seen post on any forum.

#19     Aug 17, 2011
  10. So where did you state it's a call? Stating the dividend is embedded in the price is akin to stating volatility affects price. No shit. Why state the obvious when you can't inform the reader whether you're trading the CALL or the PUT.

Is this thread closed yet?

#20     Aug 17, 2011