Investing in SPY using dollar cost averaging, searching for ideas.

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by FreakofNature, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Impressive, and I'm not talking about the returns in SPY. You must have a very quick and inquisitive mind.

#51     Aug 13, 2011
  2. Now I'm starting to work on my schpiel, Hello, this is oldtime, your broker.

We feel that the next six months are a very good time to DCA into the market.

The time to act is now. Our studies indicate that this opportunity will not return for another two years.

It's both a conservative and a proactive approach.

Let's not get hog wild here.

Just 16% of your available cash this month and for the next six months, and then sit on the sideline for a while and let it play out.

#52     Aug 13, 2011
  3. It's no secret to traders and investors that US Markets has gone nowhere in the past 10 years.

IMO, consolidation before the new leg up, inflation alone will give us the breakout.

#53     Aug 13, 2011
  4. heh that is funny

#54     Aug 13, 2011
  5. That would be really hard for me to do. At least with a straight face.

For a while I had a job in Orlando where we sold this phony ass vacation over the phone for pennies on the dollar. Oh my god, what a riot that was.

I was really good at it too until I started investigating on my own. After I found out what they did ( and still do ) I made a lot less money. Probably was in my voice.

#55     Aug 13, 2011
  6. It's interesting to see how long term holds in ET have no favoritism yet it's how I make the money only to lose some of it in trading.

Go figure.

#56     Aug 13, 2011
  7. baro-san

baro-san

Long term hold is a good strategy only in a bull market. ET means elite trader, and an elite trader should understand such things as what strategy is suitable for what market.

Check Van Tharp's comment about buy and hold.

#57     Aug 13, 2011
  8. Ok, after a 20% correction, you wait 2 years until your first purchase, unless a new HH is made, in that case, everything resets and you need to wait for a new 20% correction from the new highs and 2 more years.

Please confirm and thank you.

#58     Aug 13, 2011
  9. I know the conversation has strayed a little, but back to the original spy vs es part ... there is an interesting angle nobody mentioned. I think the answer depends on what you think you can achieve with your cash while you are rolling es, that could swamp the other cost considerations. With the futures you are basically leveraging at libor - if you put the cash you would otherwise put into the spy into investments that can beat libor while keeping enough of it liquid for margin calls then es beats spy. How good of a fixed income portfolio manager do you think you are? I am conveniently leaving out dividends and taxes and t-bill drag, but you get the idea.

#59     Aug 14, 2011
  10. Obviously you and Warren are in a league of your own.

#60     Aug 14, 2011