Investing in Hedge Funds...

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Rearden Metal, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Trendfollowing CTAs had a big comeback this year after dismal performance in 2005/2006. Winton, AHL, Brummer Lynx, Transtrend, Tulip are all funds with multi-billion amounts under management. All those doomsday predictors that were foresaw the quick demise of the entire trendfollowing style were proven wrong by Mr. Market.

#41     Dec 10, 2007
  2. Well, my benchmark is RENTEC. Got to beat 38 % per year return net of fees...:p

#42     Dec 10, 2007
  3. BJL

BJL

Exactly, always aim high ;)

I'll report back to you in ten years time to see whether I've matched them...

#43     Dec 10, 2007
  4. BJL

BJL

btw, a picture of equities only versus diversified approach... look at the simularity of the previous picuture

#44     Dec 10, 2007
  5. Yes, I agree with your arguments BJL. There should be no "one asset class only" approach. In a highly diversified portfolio, 10-20% HFs will help reduce overall volatility and improve risk adjusted returns. That's how the big endowments (Yale, Harvard) have it I believe.

#45     Dec 10, 2007
  6. check out the formula growth fund. I like their methodology as it doesn't rely on strategies that are susceptible to blow up...

They have a real good, long term track record.

#46     Dec 10, 2007
  7. Thanks very much Makloda for your posting here. I had a little money in my IB account at that time that wasn't doing anything so I bought some of BH Macro from the LSE per your information. I got in just at the right time and made about $6000 after only a month. I sold it now to lock in the profit and pursue more opportunities.

#47     Feb 1, 2008
  8. Can anyone provide me with any update regarding Last Atlantis?

There are a few buzz going around about this fund being a Chicago All-Star fund. (Meaning I've heard that a few of the top Chicago traders are with them now)

Any news or info(confirmation) about who actually trades with LACM?

#48     Feb 20, 2008
  9. benstein

benstein

Gann what is up with Last Atlantis..........a press release says............

"The National Futures Association (NFA) on Thursday filed a Member Responsibility Action (MRA) against Last Atlantis Capital Management LLC (LACM). LACM is a Virgin Islands based Commodity Trading Advisor/ Commodity Pool Operator, which also has offices in St. Charles IL, where the CTA/CPO previously was registered as Sjo Inc."

"The problem according to the MRA, is that statements from the broker dealer carrying LACM’s Share Class O account shows a loss of $3.5 million in 2007 while the annual pool financial statement shows a gain of $526,385 for 2007. LACM indicated to the NFA that the discrepancy is partially due to a receivable to be paid to the account through introducing broker Petra Trading Group LLC and is based on payment for order flow funds owed the account. These funds are to be paid to Petra by Interactive Brokers (IB) and eventually paid to Share Class O. "

#49     Jul 7, 2008