Investing in Hedge Funds...

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Rearden Metal, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Who would have thought... I'm actually overwhelmed with plenty of great leads. I promise to answer every PM, but it might take a couple days.

It seems that ET gives back whatever you put into it. Come in as a noob to ask a basic question we've already seen hundreds of times (My favorite: All the various versions of "How much money is it possible to make in X amount of time?"), and you'll be taking a loooong shower to wash off all the tar, feathers, and <i>quite possibly</i> hot sticky jizz.

But hang around for a few years and build up a measure of credibility around here, and ET can actually be a valuable resource full of helpful people. No joke, I mean it- I swear. :p

Thanx guys!

#11     Dec 5, 2007
  2. rosy2

rosy2

hedge funds are great places to work but awful investments. you cant invest in the good ones and even they charge so much that just buying an index with a bit of leverage will beat them.

#12     Dec 7, 2007
  3. RM , you probably read it before...

"Suppose that there were ten thousand investment managers out there, which is not an outlandish number, and that every year half of them, entirely by chance, made money and half of them, entirely by chance, lost money. And suppose that every year the losers were tossed out, and the game replayed with those who remained. At the end of five years, there would be three hundred and thirteen people who had made money in every one of those years, and after ten years there would be nine people who had made money every single year in a row, all out of pure luck. "

#13     Dec 7, 2007
  4. cd23

cd23

He's telling you to spread your money over nine funds. On the street I heard, they are no longer tossing out the losers. lol

#14     Dec 7, 2007
  5. Pekelo

Pekelo

Picking HFs is like picking stocks, timing is everything. So you might as well just pick stocks.

Biggs in Hedgehogging talks about the fate of successfull HFs, after 4-5 good years investors start to withdraw money, because they know that the bad year is coming....

Good examples would be LTCM and Matador....

#15     Dec 7, 2007
  6. Take alook at this group. They have some big returns in the different class shares and they are more trading systems than investmnet style but do also have th elon term trend stuff.

www.lastatlantis.com and view the alternative investment.

#16     Dec 7, 2007
  7. Take alook at this group. They have some big returns in the different class shares and they are more trading systems than investmnet style but do also have the long term trend stuff.

www.lastatlantis.com and view the alternative investment.

#17     Dec 7, 2007
  8. piezoe

piezoe

Rearden, you might profit (literally) from reading Richard Bookstaber's new book "A Demon of our Own Design: Markets, Hedge Funds and the Perils of Financial Innovation" before investing in any hedge fund.

#18     Dec 8, 2007
  9. timbo

timbo

Bookstaber has a new book? That might make me a wackoff trader.:D

#19     Dec 8, 2007
  10. Thanks... Do you know first hand that they're trustworthy?

That's the sort of fund I'm really looking for- Funds that guys here are familiar with first hand, and know for a fact that the numbers publicized are <b>real</b>, and the group in question can be trusted with large sums of money.

IV, Pekelo & piezoe: I've been investing in hedge funds for seven years, CTA's for a bit longer. I've stepped on a couple land mines (Richard Dennis!), but overall it's gone pretty well. There is certainly some truth to Taleb's theory, but I maintain that picking the right funds can yield pretty awesome returns.

#20     Dec 8, 2007